Pics of Canned Goods

I canned green tomato relish, hot sauce, red sauce and green beans last year. I planted 6 tomato plants, so I know I'll be really busy in a few months! This recipe for beans is great:
Dilled Green Beans
8 oz fresh green beans
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 gloves garlic
5 sprigs fresh dill
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (opt.)
Cut beans to neatly to fit into jar. Steam them until crisp-tender 3-5 min. Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to rolling boil. Pack beans in clean, dry jar. Mash garlic with flat side of knife, discard skin and tuck between beans in jar. Tuck in the dill sprigs then sprinkle in red pepper. Pour vinegar mixture into jar until it reaches the top (u may have extra) Screw on lid and shake. Let stand at room temp for 8 hours, then transfer to refrigerator. Allow at least 24 hours before eating and can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

I'm sure if you canned maybe with a water bath, then they would last longer, but these are really good! The recipe also quadruples well.

Walmart usually carries the Ball Blue Book in the canning stuff, and it will tell anyone how to can just about anything. It's cheap, about the size of a magazine with tiny writing and lots of recipes.

Last year I only canned tomato sauce. This year I'm hoping to try a few other things, but what I really want to can is beef stew.

My parents have food storage shelves similar to those, and one thing they did that you may want to consider is to slide a stop in the front of all the shelves to keep stuff from falling off and breaking in an earthquake.

I'm putting in a veggie garden this year after a long time without. I am so looking forward to fresh and possibly canned goods. The only canning pic I have available right now is this one. It's some pepper jelly I made last fall.

XPBBlog_JellyXLg_1Aug07.jpg

I haven't done much canning for a lot of years. I look forward to doing more this year again! Pacountrygirl, your shelves are beautiful. I remember doing that. It's a lot of work but so satisfying!

smile.png

I started canning 2 years ago. i did some tomatoes and made some scoupernong (spelling might be wrong) jelly. I wanted to do more last year but we lost our home to atornado the irst of july, so the garden was wasted. This year we are back in a home and have a probably-too-large garden growing well. I want to do more jelly and tomatoes this year, the other went rather fast, and to add to it some sweet and/or dill pickles, pickle some okra and put up some beans, corn, squash (gotta research that one), and anything else I can find to put in jars or the freezer. Any suggestions or recipes would help and be greatly appreciated. I use the hot water canning method. I am scared of the pressure cooker. I have heard too many stories about them blowing up and such.

I just made some strawberry preserves. My kids love it. My mom made it every year for us when we were growing up. I am going to be making mayhaw jelly soon.

I haven't canned tomatoes in a couple of years because the garden hasn't done well with the tomatoes. I am hoping that they do well this year because I sure miss going to the pantry and getting a jar for cooking.

Have you ever cannded meat? My DH is a hunter and I canned the deer meat. He loves it. I will be taking the meat out of the freezer soon and canning it. We at the last jar that I had. It makes for a quick meal when you are rushed to make dinner.

Both my hubby and I are avid hunters. ( I outshot him this past deer season - a 170 lb, 8-point buck! My first!) We usually have the meat processed for the freezer. Would love to know another way to prepare it. Willing to share?

Gindee, what a beautiful photo!
smile.png

CHKNFMR, I know what you mean. My aunt used a pressure canner to make delicious foods, but my mother, remembering how they could be dangerous, won't go near one.

When I got married, my dh wanted to get me a pressure cooker, but I was nervous, at first. Then he showed me the old ones, and a new one, comparing features, including safety.

I gave in and tried it, and have never looked back. The new ones aren't made the same as the old ones. I just made stock/broth in my pressure canner. It was only about 1/2 full, and I got over 2 gallons of stock, which I froze in 2 cup measures; it's so handy, and useful!
smile.png

Congratulations on the buck. Sounds like a lot of meals!
smile.png

moms pantry--- here is the instructions for canning meat---this is from the Blue Ball Book --- I use this recipe when I can my meats---These instructions are for any type of meat--- beef, chicken, pork, deer, veal, etc.

Use beef or other meat suitable for stewing. Cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes. Remove fat and gristle. Simmer meat in water to cover until hot throughout. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar, 1 teaspoon to every quart jar, if desired. (I personally do not add the salt). Pack hot meat into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

NOTE: Do not attempt to can meat in a boiling water canner. Reason being is that the temperature does not get to the point that it needs to be. The temp. for the processing of meat needs to be 240*. Use of a boiling water canner will also cause Botulism. For those who may not now what this is...it is a poisoning caused by a toxin produced by the spores of Clostridium botulinum The spores can grow in any tightly sealed jar of low-acid food that has not been processed correctly. These spores do not normally thrive in high-acid foods. Using the correct processing temperature and time to preserve low-acid foods will destroy toxin-producing spores.

Also a boiling water canner is used for the processing of high-acid foods like tomatoes.
Here are a few pics of just some of the things I have canned...............................The pics are not very clear

1st up is the Beef and Chicken

Family001-10.jpg

Here is the chicken broth I canned after I was done canning the chicken

Family003-10.jpg

Next up is my Spaghetti Sauce and Pinto Beans w/ fat meat

Family002-9.jpg

And last but not least Hamburger Meat and Kidney Beans

Family004-11.jpg

These are just a few of the things that I can each year. I usually can my chicken and beef year round. I also can carrots, green beans, navy beans, northern beans tomatoes, salsa, etc. This year I hope to make some strawberry jam.

My grandma makes the best home made jam! she makes strawberry, appricot, raspberry, etc and it is the best darn tootin jam ever!
lol.png
we go to a strawberry farm like once a year and she makes a years supply of strawberry jam
big_smile.png
and shares it with everyone she knows lol
lol.png
and there is still some left over next year!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom