Pics of Canned Goods

pacountrygirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Anyone wanna post pics of their canned goods? I love looking at all the hard work and bounty that was put on the shelves. I even know what's in every jar:D ...unlike the stuff we buy at the store...even though a can of peas might read peas, water and salt...there are hundreds of other ingredients that can be added and don't have to be listed....thanks to the FDA:mad:
The shelves are starting to get low but I'll start:
100_0481.jpg

100_0480.jpg

We also have a freezer full of pork and beef and one with veggies. This year we will be adding our own chicken to it:yiipchick
Anyone else have any pics to share:fl

Oh my that is Gorgeous!! Im thinking Im going to try my hand at canning some green beans this year, and maybe some peppers. Purdy purdy purdy!!!

That looks beautiful! I don't have any canned stuff left, either. Except one little jar of apple butter. Last year was my first year to can anything. Can't wait to try again this year. And I will remember to take pictures!

Quote:
Halo, I read on a blog that you should only can beans if you want to get botulism. LOL I'm sure it can be done safely, but beans are not recommended for canning newbies! They are better preserved by freezing.
wink.png
I myself am still pulling frozen beans out of the freezer from last year.

Tomatoes are better for canning, and fruits and things that you can add lots of sugar to. My mamaw would always freeze peas and beans, but she would can squash. go figure.

Cassandra

Quote:
I think the reference may be to people using water-bath canning (for acid foods) when they should be using pressure-canning (for veggies and meat). Canning is safe when done properly! Can't wait till summer and getting started on berry jams!

Last edited:
Jellies and preserves are the only thing I've ever been comfortable canning. I'm always afraid I'll kill my family canning anything else. My hubby's favorite is blackberry preserves with the seeds still in. He'll go pick blackberriesjust to get me to make them. He even makes his own blackberry pie from scratch.

wow that is stunning. You should be very proud of yourself. We moved to the country the end of last Summer so I haven't had my first garden yet. DH and I were discussing yesterday about canning, freezing etc and the area of the basement he is going to finish for me to store it all. I hope mine eventually looks half as goos as yours.

Magnificient! Very impressive. Now I know who to go to when I want to can my sauces.

I'm always afraid I'll kill my family canning anything else.

I too, like RubberChickenLubber, have typically only canned jams and jellies. I freeze the rest cause I'm always so concerned.

Thanks so much for sharing your bounty.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom