PICS of Chicks Shall Lay with inside PICS

Could your girls be hiding their eggs? You might put a store bought egg in the nest to see what happens to it- (to rule out egg eating or egg stealing by a predator).

Also, are they getting enough protein? Eggs are protein and it takes a lot to make an egg. Are they getting too many treats such as scratch?

Your coop and run are wonderful. Nice job!

I feed them layer food mixed with cleaned cracked corn. I have not seen any evidence of eggs being eaten. I do let free range on 1 acre a day all day until I get home. I am wondering now if I have to walk the acre. Could it be?

wow!! looks really nice! i love the colors!
wink.png

Like the use of the big white washer spill trays under the roosts--we use one on the floor under a hanging feeder to catch spilled feed and contain it so it doesn't get lost in the shavings.

Should probably remove the corn from the layer feed--their protein levels may be too low. Layer is at least 16% protein but corn is only about 8%. You could feed them some corn at the end of the day in a small amount, but heck, my girls would eat out all the corn and leave the pellets if I did that.

I think they are eating all the corn as when I stir the feed they only like it when the corn is there. I will remove it from the next batch I mix. I have not looked under the coop yet. I did find some in the run once, but only once.

Very nice coop and nice big run. Everything looks preditor proof as well. Nice to see you used hardware cloth on all openings.

I stopped putting in cracked corn and BOSS (black oiled sunflower seeds) in my birds food becaue they would scratch out and go for the goodies. I now just throw out hand fulls in the morning and at night to get them to come back to the run to eat a little snack before bed.

I noticed the light hanging. I hope if you leave that in the coop that it is secured by something more than the hook on a nail. If not, it could get knocked down by the birds flying into it.

I love the colors as well. Looks like you need a flamingo as a mascot standing out front.

the light is just not on a nail. It is on a round hook and the light has been altered to have no way to escape. It only comes on at 5:00am until 8:00am. I looked under the coop and NO eggs. I looked in the acre and no eggs. Should I be worried? I tried to make as predator proof as possible. I am generally home before dusk, but this whole dawn thing is killing me.

Back
Top Bottom