Pics of Meyer EE's?

a closeup of Peggy from the post above

I'm going to try pullets that's what my sister suggested. I wouldn't know a old chicken from a young one unless it had grey feathers!! Lol all kidding aside, I'm kinda scared to try baby chicks, plus I'm not sure I would be equipped to do that without spending a lot of extra money! So any input is appreciated!

Obviously I know very little since I've never owned a chicken in my life (only chicken sit for my neighbors) but I would just make sure to buy from someone reputable or bring someone knowledgable with you because you could unknowingly buy cockerels or older hens that have already slowed in their egg production.You also want to be able to check that they are healthy; be able to see if they have mites etc.
If you are thinking of chicks you can always check craigs list for supplies or maybe borrow what you need. I am getting a gigantic box from Costco (they have their potatoes/onions/watermelons in them) to use as a brooder. It is very large and much thicker than a cardboard box and it's free! Then I need to buy bedding and brooder bulb.
Again, take this info for what it is... just me repeating what I've read elsewhere cause I am all new to this too
hmm.png

In my less than a year chickening one of the things ive found is chicken people dont laugh at, they help

True ya dont want old hens, after a few years they stop laying eggs... Pullets would be fine, people buy and sell them everyday

But chicks!! Ya cant beat chicks and they arent fragile as you'd think... Having a box of day old chicks in a box peeping all the way home from the post office is great... Plus bonding with them when they are young chicks helps with their disposition and friendliness... Ours are pettable, and some pick up-able ... I dont know if they would be as friendly as they are if they were a few months old when we got them

As far as caring for the chicks, they arent much more demanding then the pullets... Same basic needs.. food, water, shelter.. with the addition of a light bulb for heat... Some people get fancy and slowly drop their bulb heat, not us... Just a light bulb on a cord inside a rabbit hutch (it was available) ... When their big feathers start to come in about a week later we ditch the light (not in winter, just wait longer in winter)

But thats it... Chicks need a draft free place thats dry and warm for a couple weeks, and the trouble of a light bulb is well worth the bond you'll get with.chicks

Having a box of day old chicks in a box peeping all the way home from the post office is great... Plus bonding with them when they are young chicks helps with their disposition and friendliness... Ours are pettable, and some pick up-able ... I dont know if they would be as friendly as they are if they were a few months old when we got them

This is exactly why I decided to go with chicks rather than pullets. Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom