Pics of our new $75 coop!!!

Teresa La

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Although we are far from finished it is done enough to let the girls in. We took the design from Garm's coop because we thought it wold be great for our hot area. The coop actually stays very cool inside. It is 4 ft x 8 ft, and 6.5 ft high in the front down to 6 ft in the back.
My husband is a manager for our local publishing company and they always get great pallets so we broke a bunch apart. We got the bottom pieces off of a pallet from a glass company. We only had to buy the plywood and the piece of insulation for under the roof. Our neighbor builds metal sheds and gave us the sheet metal for the roof. We didn't want to spend alot for the coop since we will only be here in the city for another year and then we'd like to get more chickens, which means a bigger coop once we move out on our land. I am excited that we pulled it off for so cheap.
We did get the door on so we have let our 8 wk old girls sleep in their new home for the last 3 nights. Last night was the first night that they actually liked it. We still haven't worked on the inside but we did put a temporary roost up for them. They actally went in on their own lastnight.
The floor in
ChickenCoop6-07012.jpg

The walls going up. I know it is unconventional, but we had our BIL, who is a framer, check it out to make sure it structurally sound
ChickenCoop6-07018.jpg

All the walls up and the roof on
ChickenCoop6-07023.jpg

We put it in between our two existing sheds because our city ordinances are pretty strict where you have to keep a coop. They will have a 6 ft x 16 ft run in the back of the sheds and up we will bring the run up to end with the shed it is against. Oh, we do have a portable run for them also for a change of pace. I think it will be enough room for our 6 chickens. I will post more pics after we finish it this weekend. Thanks so much for looking!

Teresa

Nice Job! I'm sure your chickens will be quite happy in their new home. Sure alot cheaper than it took to build my new coop!
Enjoy your babies!
big_smile.png

HaHa, cheap is what we were going for. I can't justify spending alot now when we won't be using it for long.
We got almost all of the painting done. It's raining though so we won't be able to finish today.
sad.png
I'm also going to hang a planter under the window to make it look a little better. Thanks for the compliments!

Teresa

I'll try, my husband is the one that knows exactly what we used.
For the flooring we used 2 pallets from a glass company that were 8ft long. The pieces were 2 x 4's, I think. We bought 5 sheets of 4 x 8 plywood for the floor and walls. For the inside walls we broke apart some pallets from hubby's work. We used all the 2 x 4's. They were 4 ft long so we made the walls in 4 ft sections. We used quite a bit of these. I'd say we used about 8 pallets. To make the frame for the roof we used 2 x 2's. We bought 3 of these. For the roof itself we used 1 x 4's. I think we used 10 of them. We got them off of the 8 ft long pallets and just cut them down to size. We then used 4 pieces, maybe 5, of 2 ft wide sheet metal over the 1 x 4's. To put the roof on hubby had to get on top of it, and he said it was a very solid little building.
We made the door using 2- 2 x 2's. We covered the bottom with plywood and put chicken wire at the top. I think that is about it.
We're finally gonna finish painting and putting a planter on the outside tomorrow so i'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

Teresa

Back
Top Bottom