*Pics on keeping Button Quails*

lovintheridge

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
:)Looking to hatch button quail eggs. Never done this before ( a little scarey) Wanted to see if anyone who raises buttons has any pictures on how they keep these little cuties. Something Simple. Oh and by the way, If you sell button Quail eggs let me know. I'm looking to buy. Thanks

Hey There,
As far as Incubating and brooding I have a Little Giant Tabletop Incubator, with Auto Turner, and I will be installing a Forced air fan later this week. I use a Puppy feeding tube and Syringe to add water without having to open the lid, it works great as I can place the tube through the air vent, through the wire bottom right to the moisture rings! I also went to Wal Mart and bought a Digital Thermometer/Hydrometer, the thermometer that comes with the LG is worthless. And For Brooding I have a 50 Gallon Aquarium with no slip drawer liner in the bottom, Heat lamp, Quail waterer with marbles to avoid drowning and a feeder. I also plan to add a hiding spot before they hatch. For a Boink proof roof I use a home made cover, it's just a piece of breathable fabric that I sewed elastic into, so all I do is stretch it over the aquarium opening when the time comes.

For Adult buttons, I converted a XL wire dog crate into a cage, it has the removable tray bottom, making it easy to clean. I added 12 inch high clear plastic boards that atach to the inside, keeping the mess in & the drafts out, and they are removeable for quick cleaning. I also added a boink proof roof to the inside of the crate, about a foot from the top.I have silk plants and one of those half logs for quinea pigs in the back as hiding places.

24137_img_3699.jpg

I'm just begining my Button quail adventure, so not sure any of this is right, just hoping I did a good job, LOL.
jumpy.gif

Simple all you need is an aquarium with a lid, a food dish, and a water container. You can use a chick waterer, caged bird waterer or water bottle. When using water bottles keep in mind buttons small size and don't get one too big or use it with really young buttons that are too small to push the ball. A small hamster bottle works great for adult buttons. You can make a cheap lid using 2 spring loaded adjustable curtain rods and some screen door mesh or plastic garden fencing with small openings. Cut a chunk of mesh as long as your tank and slightly wider, adjust the rods so they fit tightly in the tank, wrap the ends around the rods and zip tie/wire/glue/etc to the rods, and set them in the tank. Much cheaper than the $50 or so they want for a top to a 55g or similar sized aquarium. Personally I try for 1sq ft per button and I also like to put in at least a little plastic house or something for them to hide in and run around.

My breeder pens aren't all real simple since most have obstacles like logs, bricks, or artificially designed levels but you can look through them if you want

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/quail/

Back
Top Bottom