Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Many folks ask for feedback regarding gender/breed, yet they often post pictures that are not as helpful as they could be in allowing us to give a good opinion. Here are some basic guidelines on taking pictures that give as much detail as possible, so that those wishing to give an opinion can do so having all the pictorial information needed.

When giving feedback on gender, one of the first things we look at is the comb. Typically, a larger (more developed) or redder comb will be that of a cockerel, but a cockerel's comb isn't always a dead giveaway by the time we'd like to know the gender. Thus, a good headshot that shows the comb in detail is most helpful something such as this:

OE-bluegirl-4wksfront-1.jpg

Also, a good conformation shot (a picture from the side, showing the entire bird) is helpful also; we can look to see if saddle or hackle feathers are developing, and look at the thickness of legs compared to the overall bird. Thicker legs sometimes indicate cockerel, though I've seen some pretty hefty legs on pullets! A picture such as this that shows the overall conformation, or silhouette, is great:

BlackJerseypullet-20wks-1.jpg

Additionally, sometimes it helps to get a picture from straight above, looking down, such as this, oftentimes, you can see the saddle/hackle feathering beginning to come in when viewed from directly above:

Am1-top-4wks-1.jpg

Lastly, always put the breed and age in the subject of the post. This allows folks with experience in that particular breed to hone in on the post and supply knowledgeable feedback. I'd even go so far as to put a possible breed if you think it might be this breed in the subject; i.e., Could This be a Cochin?

I'd love to hear what others think, and what you have to add that would be helpful information for those posting in the What Breed or Gender is This? section.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really tough to say, because it depends on the breed. Some breeds, you can tell much younger than others. Of course, the older the better to be able to tell. Some breeds can actually be sexed at hatch! But, I'd say that typically you cannot tell much is "most" breeds until about 4 weeks at the earliest. No problem going ahead and posting, though! If you don't seem to be getting definitive feedback, you can always wait a few weeks, take updated pics, and post again!

Great advise Wynette. I have to sort through dozens of pictures before I can find one that is useable. It's hard to photograph chickens then it was to take pictures of my sons when they were small and antsy. I tried saying "cheese" before taking a picture of my birds but that didn't work. Saying "scratch" didn't work any better. Does anyone know what word would make them stop moving and smile at the camera?
gig.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom