Picture of poop

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
I have found this twice now. Just wondering if I should be concerned. I have 3 pullets around 21 weeks old not laying yet. It wouldn't have anything to do with that would it? It is warmer here so drinking alot of water could be a factor as well I guess
IMG_20190914_132758.jpg

Dumor chicken starter/grower right now available 24/7. Treats right now are mealworms and bird peanuts and occasionally rice and cornbread. But that's not daily. And spaghetti some. But the only treats they get daily are the peanuts and mealworms. I've tried veggies like lettuce and other things but they just seem to leave it and not eat those things.

Dumor chicken starter/grower right now available 24/7. Treats right now are mealworms and bird peanuts and occasionally rice and cornbread. But that's not daily. And spaghetti some. But the only treats they get daily are the peanuts and mealworms. I've tried veggies like lettuce and other things but they just seem to leave it and not eat those things.

I'm just going to put this out there, my hens had diarrhea(?) or at least abnormal poop when they were on Dumor.

How long have you had them?
Do you provide a source of grit for them?

I do tend to agree with @9SpiceyChickens if possible, switch from Dumor to something like Purina Start N Grow. I will use Dumor IF that's the only thing I can find fresh, I haven't had too many problems, but still feel like the quality of feed may be lacking a bit.
Cut back on peanuts and mealworms too to see if the poop improves.

/
How long have you had them?
Do you provide a source of grit for them?

I do tend to agree with @9SpiceyChickens if possible, switch from Dumor to something like Purina Start N Grow. I will use Dumor IF that's the only thing I can find fresh, I haven't had too many problems, but still feel like the quality of feed may be lacking a bit.
Cut back on peanuts and mealworms too to see if the poop improves.

We use either a local feed or Purina Layena.

I've had then the 21 weeks, since chicks. The only reason I haven't switched to layer feed is I have a mixed flock and I can't never seem to find a mixed flock feed at my local TSC. I have just picked up osyter shell though. When should I put that out? And I have been giving grit but it's chick grit so when I picked up OS I got full size grit also. Does anybody order their feed online?

I've had then the 21 weeks, since chicks. The only reason I haven't switched to layer feed is I have a mixed flock and I can't never seem to find a mixed flock feed at my local TSC. I have just picked up osyter shell though. When should I put that out? And I have been giving grit but it's chick grit so when I picked up OS I got full size grit also. Does anybody order their feed online?
Do not hold me accountable for anything I say LOL!

You can put it out in a week or two, so they have calcium to lay. I don't order, I pick up local.

I don't feed layer feed period. I use Flock Raiser or an all flock type feed (18-20% protein) year round. I generally have a mixed flock and don't want to keep switching food - Flock Raiser can be fed from hatch until....If neither one is available or the date is too old for my liking, I feed chick starter (yes, I feed chick starter to laying hens:)). Look in your TSC to see if they carry Flock Raiser or if you have Southern States they have a 20% Flock Balancer feed, my store is farther away and sometimes does not have any so...Purina is always a standby for me.

Yes, I would go ahead and offer OS free choice. I put mine in a container inside the run, they will pick out pieces. At 21wks it won't hurt them.

No. I don't order feed online, I know some people do, but I like to look at mill dates on bags before I buy and online pricing is higher too (for me).

Back
Top Bottom