Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

This is Lucy Langshan. She's old and blind but she's still beautiful and she's holding on to her girlish figure.
View attachment 3802468
View attachment 3802469
You are right, Lucy is beautiful! Black chickens always have that pretty sheen on their feathers. Is she blind in both eyes? I have a half-blind rooster, he is old and he gets startled easily because he can't see out of his left side. But he is the sweetest rooster I have ever had. When he is taking a bath in the dust or laying down to take a nap, he will purr at me to invite me to come over and sit beside him.

You are right, Lucy is beautiful! Black chickens always have that pretty sheen on their feathers. Is she blind in both eyes? I have a half-blind rooster, he is old and he gets startled easily because he can't see out of his left side. But he is the sweetest rooster I have ever had. When he is taking a bath in the dust or laying down to take a nap, he will purr at me to invite me to come over and sit beside him.
Thank you!
Yes, I believe she is blind in both eyes. It's hard to say because to outward appearance, her eyes look the same.
I noticed a couple of years ago that she was having trouble getting on the roost and off. She started roosting earlier while it was still light, and on a lower roost.
It's sad, she top hen for so long, she still gets respect- probably because she is the mother of so many in the flock. She is the only one left from the original flock.

20240413_132954.jpg

Onyx preening. She is such a cute bird!!!

Sometimes I wish chickens would have a different sunbathing and dust-bathing posture when I look out my window and have a split second of fear at the sight of a chicken laying on their side with their wing out looking dead. I know that is normal but I have had chickens die many times before in that position so it scares me every time!
Not only do they scare us laying on their side w/wing out looking dead, we have a Silkie that accentuates the dead posture by also sticking her leg up in the air at the same time!!!

Can't capture a pic cuz she comes running to us as soon as she sees us moving!!!

Not only do they scare us laying on their side w/wing out looking dead, we have a Silkie that accentuates the dead posture by also sticking her leg up in the air at the same time!!!

Can't capture a pic cuz she comes running to us as soon as she sees us moving!!!
Our rooster likes sitting down with his head through the fence, I get so scared thinking something bit his head out through it, But when I yell for him he gets up and runs to me

Back
Top Bottom