Picture thread of my hens!

Beautiful!!! Here are mine
And we have more coming in a week!
1f423.png

Haven't been on in a day or two, so yous have a couple of posts to catch up on!

Just went up to the hens and noticed Oeflay was missing. Once I got to the feed shed I saw feathers all over. Fed everyone and then turned around and saw a bunch of feathers in the pop hole to the little shed and I looked in and the net box was filled with feathers with one of oeflays eggs in and a splash of blood. I went on to look in the big shed and found her with her back all ripped open. Have caked her in spray and put her alone in a shed. Was so annoyed when I went to the shed though as the rats have chewed a huge hole in it, so I have put rat traps under the hole and put stuff over to stop birds ect getting caught. She ate loads of food which is good and I'm going to have a drive up later and check on her. Might also take her some anti biotics up. Was going to leave her in the other shed but it was the top hen shed and I know henry would mate her which obviously wouldn't be good. I always knew she would be a fighter if anything got her and she proved it. She's been all over the pale having her feathers ripped out and still managed to get to safety. The wounds are worse on the other side
11009142_10202473261792479_140852060184513224_n.jpg

Had this little passenger in with me from the way back from the hens. She wasn't looking so well after attack but after being blasted by my car heaters she's already drinking alone :). I wasn't planning to bring her hole so that's why the transport equipment isn't the best!

10951094_10202479091818226_5686690149263431334_n.jpg

Oeflays still a feisty little thing. Was just showing her to my sister and her friend and the dog came and jamp up and she pecked him! Here she is having some vitamin water before she goes to bed for the night :)
11025758_10202479585190560_9016474827864886890_n.jpg

PL:
10430482_10202478439721924_4564259348691037613_n.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Oeflay. It certainly sounds like she has the will to live. If you prevent infection, hopefully she will heal up well.

Can you explain the origin of her name? I've wondered about it for a while.

Poor thing.
I hope she continues to mend without complications.
She looks as if she'd used to seat belts, like she has ridden in a car all the time.

Thanks! That's the first time she's ever left my field. She's been there since June 2011!
Poor Oeflay. It certainly sounds like she has the will to live. If you prevent infection, hopefully she will heal up well.

Can you explain the origin of her name? I've wondered about it for a while.

She's on Baytril (antibiotic) and metacam for the pain. Her wounds has also been bathed in habbiscrub and is now caked in anti septic spray. And Oef (I know I've spelled it wrong, but no ones ruining it for me now!) is egg in French and she lays eggs, so Oeflay!
Poor girl, do you think it was a rat that got her? Hope she heals well.
Thanks. No I don't think a rat got her. I'm thinking most likely a weasel/stoat like what attacked my Orp back in 2014, but it can't be the same one because that one got ran over when it left my field!

Back
Top Bottom