Pictures of coops within a barn??

Jossy J

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I'm new to posting on this forum but have been lurking and learning a lot. And I have a question!
big_smile.png

I currently own 2 banty roosters that I got from a friend last fall who had too many roosters and couldn't bear to eat them or send them to someone who would eat them. So they live in my barn with my 3 horses and have been an interesting addition to our family. One of them is very sweet and the other spends a lot of time being carried around 'helping' me with the barn chores when he is being naughty - one tip I learned from BYC and that is working well so far with this guy. If he doesn't smarten up then I'm going to have to re-home him because I have two kids, ages 6 and 8 and I certainly don't want them to get hurt.

I'd like to get a few banty hens this summer and am thinking about having a more official home for them. I have been letting the roosters hang around the barn during the day this winter and then putting them in a straw lined dog crate at night to keep them warm. So far so good but if I'm going to get some hens then we need something else.

The barn currently has 4 stalls and an area that is roughly 11'X11' with two windows that we use for storage. I was thinking of building an enclosure that is predator proof with a coop with nesting boxes that could be closed up to keep them warm in the winter. My husband is not into the chicken-thing so it is just my kids and I who will be building something. I thought about buying a dog pen enclosure and adding nesting boxes, etc.

Does anyone have pictures of their chicken enclosures inside already existing barns? Any tips, advice, opinions, etc. would be appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom