Pictures of how we keep our ducks cool.

dugan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
NY
It has been hot here in NY and our ducks have been staying out of our pond so we needed another way to keep them cool and they love it.

My ducks love the sprinkler, too. Every time I water the garden they are there in seconds. My neighbor lady across a 5 line major highway was watering her yard one morning and the ducks could smell it. They made it across and she had to yell at me across the highway that my ducks were over there.
idunno.gif
My ducks are crazy!

Glad you found them a way to stay cool.

All of the ducks and geese here chase the sprinkler system from zone to zone when it turns on. The chickens run for cover looking disgruntled. Luckily we don't have to run the system often with the summer rains. Of course we also super muggy and high temps all summer. Hope those not use to the heat figure out how to cope with it. We even have a/c in one out building so the goats are kept comfy over night during our hottest part of the summer. Even the rabbits move into that building for a couple of months.

It is not usually this hot in June. We had to rescue some baby birds because their mom made a nest in the duck shed and it was to hot for them. They kept jumping out of the nest and I was afraid the ducks would hurt them. The guy who came to get them said its been happening because it has been to hot.

It is not usually this hot in June. We had to rescue some baby birds because their mom made a nest in the duck shed and it was to hot for them. They kept jumping out of the nest and I was afraid the ducks would hurt them. The guy who came to get them said its been happening because it has been to hot.
You said your ducks are staying out of the pond, could it be because of snapping turtles? love the pic of your pond and duck and wow a deer too beautiful.
smile.png

Yes we have at least one we have been trying to get out but every time we check the line the bait is gone. We are unsure how to catch it.

Yes we have at least one we have been trying to get out but every time we check the line the bait is gone. We are unsure how to catch it.
Your ducks are smart, we have seen numerous folks posting about their duckling being eaten by snappers and also adults getting seriously injured. I hope you can catch it because if theres one theres probably more. Maybe ask on the predators section here on BYC on how to get it.

That is the neatest thing! I had no idea that ducks would like the sprinkler! My little ones are still working on getting their feathers but when they are all grown in I'm going to try the sprinkler as a little treat for them!

Back
Top Bottom