pictures of lights in coop

shmeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
im wanting to put light in coop to increase laying since days are getting shorter, but not sure what type light to use without spending a lot money. been thinking of using a timer. I was wondering if anybody has pictures of light they are using.

How many hours of light should they have a day? I just installed a florescent light on a timer to try and make up the difference.

I don't have a picture, but I hung a clamp on light fixture (with metal shade), like the ones you use in brooders. I use a warm white compact fluorescent bulb, 40 watt equivalent. You don't want it brightly lit, but more a relaxing atmosphere. I have my lights on until 9pm. I think the goal is 14-16 hours a day.

The other benefit of the lights is I can do my evening chicken chores up to 9pm and still see what I am doing.

Posted this from another query:

There are a lot of opinions on supplementing light to keep the chickens laying during time period where there is less than 12-14 hours of available daylight.

My coop gets 16 hours of light 351 days per year.
I turn lights off for 14 days to have birds go into a controlled moult late September .

Having had to install electricity for the thermostatically controlled water heater, I took advantage and installed a lighting system.

My system has two timers. The first is set to turn the lights on at 5am, off at 9pm.

Power goes on, passes through a photocell, then to a 300 lumen LED bulb, 4.8 watts, in the coop, and 2 4.8 watt LEDs for the outside run.

I light the run because I found the birds huddled outside the coop door in the dark one 5:30am morning...
They have access to the run 24/7, as it is as secure as the coop.

The lights are on only when it is dark enough outside to be necessary.
The time on very closely mimics my Summer Solstice.

The second timer is set to go on at 8:30pm, off at 9:30pm, a diffused 200 lumen LED 4 watt bulb.
This low light allows the birds to settle in before all lights out.

This system costs less than $5 per year to operate.

As you know, sun rise and set time changes every day. Using a timer will require adjusting every so often. You can simplify it by doing only pre-dawn lighting.

I use a CFL (11w) for my small coop (3x6). Energy efficient and no fire risk.

Also, you can control the length of lighting to modulate egg laying and amount of rest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom