Pictures of my 'road runner' chicken. Need help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sidlou, Jul 13, 2011.

1. sidlou

sidlou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Weare NH
    I have two 7 week old chicks, one is a barred rock Fuzzball and 1 unknown Yellowfellow (who actually is now black (iridescent) with white wing tips). I am trying to figure out if Yellowfellow is male but when I look at the feathers, they are ALL pointy, not only the hackle and saddle feathers. Yellowfellow also has no sign of a comb yet, but maybe small bumps on the back of the legs. (When I checked my adult white leghorn hen, she has small bumps as well though). Yellowfellow is also shaped kinda weird, not really much of a chicken shape... more like a roadrunner. So... when is the right time to determine if Yellowfellow is a she? Please don't say wait till I get an egg or hear a crow. I am so attached to them already, that if I have to rehome him, I would rather do it now. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Post a pic - you'll get much more help that way. [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I agree, pics are needed. But if there really is no sign of a comb at 7 weeks, probably a she. Some will still surprise you though.

4. sidlou

sidlou Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Weare NH
    I posted pix of this strange bird. Any thoughts on breed and sex would be appreciated.

5. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    looks like a ba, unless it dont have tan bottoms on its feet. On its crowing or egg laying abilities... [​IMG] I still have my 4 and only sure 1 ba is a hen!! [​IMG]

6. thats a Sumatra, looks exactly like my sumatra did when he was 7 weeks old. sumatra are hard to sex at young ages, so you can't tell at this point.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    i just have to say that i have a chicken that i named 'the roadrunner' because she resembled on so much during her adolescent time. she was an ee and....was a she [​IMG]

8. Quote:its deffinitly a sumatra, i'd show pics of mine at a similar age, but my computer had the blue screen of death about a monht ago and everything got deleted.

the best i got is from my uploads. the only pic i have of him when he was a similar age (4 weeks old) is in this one: (hes the black one) [​IMG]

this is how her turned out: [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. maryann66

maryann66 New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. maryann66

maryann66 New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]can someone tell me what kina of chickens these are?

11. Silkie nerd

Silkie nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2017
    To me she/he looks like a austalorpe I have two right now and they look exactly like that and they are about six weeks I will send a pic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by