Pictures of open coops?

Here's a picture of ours. We are in Charlotte, NC and the summers are HOT and HUMID, our winters are pretty mild. The "coop" part of it is cedar fencing that has dried with small gaps helping with ventilation. The top rafters are also open. You can see inside pictures on my BYC page. This is our first summer with it and so far it's working great - we'll see how winter goes. I'm planning on winterizing it somehow just not sure exactly how yet. Hope this helps.

61919_img_3449_1024x683_2.jpg

Quote:
You'll just need to put a tarp or clear plastic on the side that seems to have the most wind blowing in. I had 5 girls that had no problems in a 8x8 coop, just the 5 of them with no insulation. On the cold days they just huddle closer together. Hardest part has been keeping the water from freezing!

What part of Charlotte? I'm over in Stanley

NCChicken Mommy,

Where did you get your girls? I'm looking to add to my flock and I'm always in CLT (I live in Greenville and my parents live near South Park Mall). AWESOME COOP!

-Jackie

Quote:
I think some folks over South Park way would think a stray chicken was some kind of exotic bird, lol. But then again, some parts of the far eastern edges were nothing but farmland 20 years back. Even more rural than some of the areas outside of the University area.

Charlotte has BOOMED in the last 20 years!!

Here's mine. We live in Louisiana so we don't have much winter to speak of!! If it does happen to get below freezing I put a tarp up to cover them when their roosting at night!!

41543_chicken_coop4.jpg

Here's my nursery coop.

41543_new_baby_coop_3.jpg

Missi

Mine is very open. I live in central Texas and our summers can get well over 100 and winters are relatively mild. This past winter was cold, we had over a week of highs that never made it above freezing, but that's not normal. We usually have a few freezing nights, but that's it.

My "coop" consists of chain link dog run fence panels and a tarp over one corner for shelter. I recently expanded the pen and have plans to build a 3-sided shed to house the roosts and nesting boxes.

My point is that it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you provide sun shade and a wind break of some sort. I need to take pics of the pen to post.

Back
Top Bottom