Pictures of Pheasant Housing/Run

Quote:
This is gorgeous!
thumbsup.gif

I really enjoyed seeing everyones habitats & got some great ideas....I just wish I has the carpentry skills to make it happen. I have a single male pheasant (out of 10 he's the last) that is going to need his own pen when I move him back outside. He is currently recovering from the pox and my vet said he could still be a carrier. I don't want to chance him giving to all the other birds.... but I don't want him to spend the rest of his life alone. I don't know what to do with him
hu.gif

Last edited:
65292_august_2009_027.jpg

65292_august_2009_060.jpg

What I did was build a couple of 4x12 breeding pens or grow out pens off the tool shed, which is ideal for ONE ringnecked rooster and four hens, then I added a 25' x 50' main flight pen which at the time this pic was taken was heavily planted. I rented a trencher from home depot and all the outside walls are buried a foot deep and curved out to thwart coons, foxes and coyotes from digging in. About 30 pheasants took 2 months to kill every sprig of vegetation and I had to put stones and concrete on the inside to keep the pheasants from digging out and a brushpile for cover. The roosters began to kill one another on the first warm day. Since then I built two more 48' square breeding pens ( 4x12 ) on the front side. I also began to "sectionalize" the main flight pen, so there are three more 4x8 breeding pens and the main flight pen is now 17x50 with an 8 foot flight netting ceiling. I soon discovered the roosters will do better (more mating, less fighting) separated, and I can rotate the pens, allowing them to rest and grow some vegetation. During the cold months, all the birds are placed in the main flight pen and get along great. Will try to get updated pics. This was 2007.

Last edited:
I noticed in the photos of your pens that you do not have any seperation between them. Do you have any conflict between the birds in the adjoining pens. I use a 24" seperation between my adjoining pens but juding from your photos this may not be necessary. Thanks
Quote:

I noticed in the photos of your pens that you do not have any seperation between them. Do you have any conflict between the birds in the adjoining pens. I use a 24" seperation between my adjoining pens but juding from your photos this may not be necessary. Thanks

I would not be able to afford seperating the pens, that would be alot more panels. Although thinking about it- 24 inches between each pen would be a good way to let plants grow for natural shade, windbreak, etc.

We have not had a problem with conflict between our continous pens. I do not use sight barrier either. My belief is that- sight barrier makes a pen even smaller. Instead of the birds seeing out around them, the slight barrier closes in their world. A little planning and smarts avoids conflict rather than restrict their world more. I see posts like this
run 1 male to 4 or 5 hens so 1 hen is not being beating on

I think by not having sight barrier the male's have other interactions to take up some time instead of just focusing on the hen(s) in their pen. Yes I have had males beat up hens, but rarely. Those males that are overly aggressive are removed from my breeding program. I have had just as good of fertility from males that are more personable.

A little planning and smarts- I usually place pheasants from different falimies next to each other, like a gallo pheasant pen, then a longtailed pheasant in the next pen, then maybe a ruffed pheasant pen next, then back to a gallo pheasant pen. But I have had same pheasants next to each other without incident. Our Ringneck breeder pens are all side by side, biggest problem there is, since it's 2x4 mesh, making sure they do not roll eggs into the next pen. But nest boxes solve that.

I am not recommending anyone do it that way, this is only what works for me, results may vary.​

Last edited:
I am very glad I found this board. I am looking into getting pheasants when I get UTD on all of my building I need to get finished before hatching season starts. It will be next year, most likely, before I get any... BUT, this board has given me several ideas.

Back
Top Bottom