1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of Pheasant Housing/Run

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Mahlzeit, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I'd love to see pictures of everyone's pheasant runs and coops. I have some red goldens and would really like to set up their run to an ideal space for them. Would love to see how everyone has theirs set up. Thanks

2. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

We use alot of different pens.

[​IMG]

8 x 16 pens, used for various pheasant species.

[​IMG]

double row (back to back) of 8 x 16 pens with 8 x 8 pens on this end for specific breeding pairs.

[​IMG]

Round pens, used mainly for our rarer and tropical type pheasants. We have a bunch of these pens, but I don't have a good photo.

[​IMG]

10 x 20 pens used for various ornamental pheasants.

[​IMG]

10 x 20 inside

[​IMG]

48 ringneck breeder pens each 8 x 16. Can't see it in this photo- but the far end of these pens have a roof over the back 5 feet for shelter and shade. I have not got this half done yet.

1 person likes this.
  3. sjranch

sjranch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    central california
    nice set up!

4. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Wow that is a really nice set up for sure! You don't have issues with smaller animals squeezing through the wire? I didn't think anything could get through that was of danger but weasels proved me wrong. What breeds do you breed?

5. spectrumranch

Quote:We do have issues with predators.

Owls were killing some pheasants thru the netting on top- taking them off the roost- so we lowered the roosts. OR most pens now have a roof over were the roosts are.

Mink got in and killed a few, but they have done alot more damage in the duck pens- seems the mink prefer ducks or geese (smaller wild types) if they have a chance to get either.

We are in the process of selling out almost all our Ringneck pheasants and cutting back on the others too. This is what we had going into breeding season 2009:

Red Golden
    Yellow Golden
    Dark Throated Golden
    Cinnamon Splash Golden
    Silver Golden
    Splash Golden
    Peach Splash Golden
    Peach Golden
    Lady Amherst
    Cheer
    Impeyan
    Koklass
    Blue Eared
    Brown Eared
    Grey Peacock
    Palawan Peacock
    Bornean Fireback
    Malayan Fireback
    Siamese Fireback
    Silver
    Swinhoe
    Edwards
    White Crested Kalij
    Reeves
    Ijima Copper
    Elliot
    Humes Bartailed
    Mikado
    Temminck Tragopan
    Satyr Tragopan

Ringnecks:
    Chinese
    Chinese Jumbo
    White Jumbo
    Green
    Black
    White
    Alaskan Snow
    Blue Alaskan Snow
    Buff Isabel
    Buff
    Red Buff
    Chinese Pied
    Green Pied
    Buff Pied
    Blackneck
    Platinum
    Chocolate
    Blue
    Blue Pied
    Silver
    Ivory

We usually try to keep more than one pen of each also. Some breeds we have several pens of.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Very nice.

Steve in NC

7. spectrumranch

Somebodyelse must have photos of pens???????[​IMG]

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will here in a day or two [​IMG] Randy I must say I wish I lived closer so I could come by and visit sometime. Your pens.....place...and birds are beautiful! I don't think I could ever manage soo much and keep everything looking as good as you do. Love the Ornamental pens!
    [​IMG]

9. spectrumranch

Here is a photo of how we have roof over some of the 8 x 16 pens. The roof provides shade, protection from owls while on the roost & a dry spot to roost in the rain.

[​IMG]

If the birds don't eat all the vegitation, it can also provide cover and shade.

[​IMG]

10. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Those are some really great pens. Are you like a zoo type place or private? I'd love to see some other peoples set ups too. I'm trying to figure out what kind of plants to put in with the pheasants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by