1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pictures of squat and red wattles and comb???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hey everyone~

I know this is a lot to ask.... but wondered if anyone could get a pic of their hen doing the squat so I could see if that is what my BO is really doing. Also pics of what the wattles and combs should look like in laying hens would also be helpful. I have a BO that acts ready, and a red star, barred rock, and white rock that "looks" ready. Can anyone help? My hens will be 20 weeks on Monday.
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    [​IMG]

Couldn't get a picture of the squat, but this is a pretty good shot of the comb and wattles. Joy started laying last week.

3. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    My chickens are camera shy when it comes to squatting. But mine started laying before they started squatting. The combs started to grow, and turned a nice bright red.

4. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you! Is Joy a Red Star? And how old is she?

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

When it comes to the squat, I haven't seen squat.

But here is a picture of one of my production reds, and I think this is about 2 weeks before I started getting eggs.

[​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Is this what you're looking for? The hens often 'tap dance' while squatting too.

[​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I [​IMG] your pic, Uppity Peon! That should be your avatar! [​IMG] Only one of my hens out of 20 have ever squatted for me, and that is my first chicken, a dark cornish. She was an only chicken for a while.

Shelly

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Here is my Daffy, a Buff Orpington, at 21 weeks. She started laying about 2 weeks later.

[​IMG]

And LynneP's squat picture is perfect. She acted like i was going to hit her all the time, and she would squat really fast. It took a while for it to dawn on me that this was what everyone meant about the squatting. They're also really easy to pick up when they're squatting like that (a nice benefit).

9. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Joy is a Red Sex Link. She's 19 weeks old. She squats like Lynne P's hen, but I'm not good enough with a camera to get Joy to squat while I take a picture. Great shot Lynne! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  10. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hey everyone!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time for the pics~ they are really very helpful, as I'm sure they will be to other people too! My BO squats like the pic, but her comb and wattles don't seem ready. Keep the pics coming if you can... they are very interesting!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by