Pictures of what I think is my Buff Silkie Bantam

She's a beautiful girl! Enjoy her and get yourself another silkie chick TOO. I wish you lived closer, I would share one of mine!
smile.png

No, but you shouldnt expect something like you see alot of members have. They have breeder or show quality bloodlines and their Silkies might look a little different than others. But she wont look like a Silkie is suppost to, she will only have silkie feathering. She is still very cute!

~Casey

Hi All ~

I did go out and check my cross/pet/silkie girl and yes she has 4 toes! And her skin isn't quite black but is very very close. I'm just waiting and hoping to see her grow! Fuzzy!
jumpy.gif

Pattee,
The little chick looks cool! I like buff, I like black skin (she does have the genetics for it I can tell from the pictures), I like peacombs (she has that) I like four toes instead of 5, I like a clean face, no beard, muff, crest.

I would like to have a bird like that. Count yourself lucky.

I have actually been looking for a bird like that to cross to one of my phoenix roosters.

Congrats on a beautiful bird!

by the way she looks to me like she has the 'hookless' gene responsible for the silkie feathering.

none of my F1 ( first generation) silkie crosses have been silkie feathered or so far have any of the F2's- I am not an expert- just doing a little experiment.I hope to have F3's in the Spring. I would guess you have a pet quality buff (or partridge- by looking at the wings-some black there).In the buffs I have seen the black color is less doiminant and the skin tends to be washed out -willow to slate.Not a terrible thing- just not a show quality chicken.As for toes- even GOOD quality silkies sometimes produce chicks with the wrong number of toes. It happens.

Quote:
F1 silkie crosses wouldn't be silkie feathered because it's a recessive gene. For F2, if you're breeding F1 x F1, you would onle get 25% with silkie feathering, 50% smooth, carrying the gene, and 25% not carrying the gene at all. If you bred the F1 to a silkie (or silkie feathered bird), you would get 50% silkie feathered, 50% smooth (with one copy of the gene).

Back
Top Bottom