Pictures of your home-made coops and runs!

There is a better photo of the roost - quite similar to a ladder! Obviously with a token chicken in the photo...this is the banty house roost hence the smaller size! I have been reading about poop hammocks and I want to incorporate one into this design - I'm thinking hanging from the back wall and attaching somewhere forward of the second perch down!
I hope your young'ns get a space on the perch soon!
I like that roost and the model you chose to go with it! Is that you in the avatar? What kind of chick is on your shoulder? The 4 BR that I raised inside like to play 'King on the Mountain' with my head being the mountain! They are 12 weeks old and I am wondering if I have made a mistake in letting them do that! I can see them being full-size and still wanting to fly onto my head.

Lisa :)

I have them good enough for now, but I still have more work to do. When I get back home from my trip I need to weather in my first coop I built which has circular holes in the back. I also need to side or paint the OSB. I also need to put some roost in the 8'x8' pen and in the first coop.

Last edited:
Here's our coop/run for our two ducks. First time duck over and we have never owned chickens, so this was all new to us!

Very nicely done! a great pool too! A good doghouse conversion! something for me to consider i always seem to be increasing in ducks around here, people forget duck math lol

I'm really tempted to add a couple runners, but I need to do some research about how much space inside the coop/run the ducks have and what's really best for all of them. They get "free range" time inside our fenced in backyard, but that's only when I am home and I can check on them periodically, so I am cautious of the space inside the run while I am at work. Although they are usually glued to that pool! Even today on a 34° morning!

Next year, the goal is the bury the deep section of the pond into the ground. I just need to determine the draining method. That's why it is elevated now because I have a drain on the bottom and a hose that takes the water out about 20'.

I'm really tempted to add a couple runners, but I need to do some research about how much space inside the coop/run the ducks have and what's really best for all of them. They get "free range" time inside our fenced in backyard, but that's only when I am home and I can check on them periodically, so I am cautious of the space inside the run while I am at work. Although they are usually glued to that pool! Even today on a 34° morning!

Next year, the goal is the bury the deep section of the pond into the ground. I just need to determine the draining method. That's why it is elevated now because I have a drain on the bottom and a hose that takes the water out about 20'.

A portable sump pump that you plug in and hook a water hose to would make easy work of draining it if you put it in ground. I drained an in-ground swimming pool that way.

I've been meaning to post recent updates to the coop and run, which I started last October. I was hoping to be done over the summer, but not much further to go now. Front door and a few trim pieces auta do it. I can't seem to keep the album in sequence though - here's a few recent pics...

Last edited:
Here's our home-made set up in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. All made from old pallets and firewood. I think the only things we bought new were the paint, the panelling wood and the wire mesh. Even the chickens were free!

Here's our home-made set up in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. All made from old pallets and firewood. I think the only things we bought new were the paint, the panelling wood and the wire mesh. Even the chickens were free!

thumbsup.gif
Very nice!

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom