Pictures of your home-made coops and runs!

This took us an afternoon to make. It has good ventilation through the bottom, and we used the bits we cut out to make waterproof air vents in the top and back. If I make another one I would hinge the bottom of the barrel, so I could take the top off when cleaning it out. Anyway it is easy to clean as it is, simply pick it up and shake, but most drops through in any case! Our full size roos and hens love it! Total cost was Eurwoes15 for the old barrel and the rest was scrap we had around. Nowhere for the dreaded red mote to hide either. Sleeps 5 at the most. The floor we made from wire grid and tubes for perches. It is really easy to pick up and move around the garden. We used 6" nails to keep the ramp on and another to make a locking closure for the door. Really quick to take the nails from their holes as well.

Some of the things I will built in the last year. We started with we are just going to get a couple of chickens for eggs and then.........well........you all know how it goes....lol All of our chickens free-range as much as possible....
The first coop and run is for our Silkies now. I just finished it last month The second tractor is for our Seramas (my favorite besides Bella, my naked-neck). The third tractor was for the Seramas but I just didnt like it that much and was to hard for me to get into.(I am 6'4" tall). It is for sale now...Hen Heaven is our big coop for the 7 egg-layers we have. It has a rainwater collection system on it with nipples as well as a Pullet-Shut solar door and a webcam in it. It works out well. The brooder I made last year before we got our egg layers and then I added the lower brooder section after I built my wine mini-fridge incubator so I can split up my hatches or keep different age groups in it. I also put a nipple watering system in the brooder using a long plastic flower box from home depot. It works really well and you would be surprised how young they can be and still figure out the nipples. I think I am done now, anyway that is what I told my wife.....lol

Love your set up!!! Would like to know how you like the automatic coop door? I am thinking of ordering it for our run expansion and wondered do's/don'ts and coulda shoulda but I didn't on it.....thanks

Back
Top Bottom