Pied Gene In Chickens Believers😋, Discussion Thread.

How Many Of You Believe the Pied Gene Exists In Chickens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a believer: Pied as such does not exist in the Chicken genome, but mottling has multiple(at least 5 known mutations) so take your pick which one is causing your birds to have a Pied look a like.

Testing Pied or leucism in birds would require a Fibromelanotic background, any Fibromelanotic bird that has white patches on it's skin and if one of those patches is located on the face area and their eyes are red/blue then you have found the so elusive Pied or leucism in chickens
If it were a mutation in the mottling gene, which mutation would it be?

Sometimes it takes more work to actually discover something hiding in plain sight.

At least you have fun with it, with pigeons.
Lemme play devil's advocate really quick, I would LOVE Piebald chickens, but Piebald occasionally pops up in wild populations sometimes like with deer and even back to pigeons, a LOT of people own and breed chickens, why haven't we seen it? :'(

Lemme play devil's advocate really quick, I would LOVE Piebald chickens, but Piebald occasionally pops up in wild populations sometimes like with deer and even back to pigeons, a LOT of people own and breed chickens, why haven't we seen it? :'(
Exactly, pied occasionally pops up.
The pied mutation exists in all animals, that includes domestic dogs, cats, birds etc. So, it must exist in chickens too, so it can't be completely non existent.

Exactly, pied occasionally pops up.
The pied mutation exists in all animals, that includes domestic dogs, cats, birds etc. So, it must exist in chickens too, so it can't be completely non existent.
But hobby breeders and SOP breeders produce SO many chicks each year (meat bird hatcheries excluded since gross and also white birds) why haven't we seen one? And I don't think it exists in all animals, like I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a Piebald tiger? I feel like we're pretty well understanding of the extend of chicken genetics, and while piebaldism is a genetic mutation that can occur in all or most creatures, I'm not sure if chickens have a gene for Piebald the same way that say pigeons or dogs do :'(

But hobby breeders and SOP breeders produce SO many chicks each year (meat bird hatcheries excluded since gross and also white birds) why haven't we seen one? And I don't think it exists in all animals, like I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a Piebald tiger? I feel like we're pretty well understanding of the extend of chicken genetics, and while piebaldism is a genetic mutation that can occur in all or most creatures, I'm not sure if chickens have a gene for Piebald the same way that say pigeons or dogs do :'(
PieBald Tiger, Known by the name Golden Tiger.
Golden-Tabby-Tiger-06-768x577.jpg

PieBald Tiger, Known by the name Golden Tiger.

??? Doesn't Piebald mean having white spots or white patches? The only white on that tiger is in places that normal tigers have white too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_tiger
"the golden tiger coloring comes from a recessive trait referred to as "wideband" which affects the production of black during the hair growth cycle."

Golden Tiger exists, yes. Piebald, no.

Ya it would be nice if you explained what you mean by "pied".
To me i'd think a pied chicken chicken would be like a pied guinea.
But it seems your thought is its more like a piebald dog. Certainly there's chickens with white patches. Excherquer leghorns and calico cochins come to mind but those are both off of the mottling gene.
Are you wanting to name one of the mottling mutations something it's not?
Or actually talk about a true pied gene?

??? Doesn't Piebald mean having white spots or white patches? The only white on that tiger is in places that normal tigers have white too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_tiger
"the golden tiger coloring comes from a recessive trait referred to as "wideband" which affects the production of black during the hair growth cycle."

Golden Tiger exists, yes. Piebald, no.
Looks pied though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom