Pied gene in chickens?

In fact, I accidentally created a pied chicken during my experiment.
0620191446.jpg

Last edited:
So if they're the same then why say your bird is pied and not call it mottled which is the correct term?

The finding is nothing new. Decades ago it was discovered that what some were calling pied and thought to be different was in fact the mottled gene. That's where the one in the same came in. It was since pretty much dropped and they were then referred to as mottled.
I have pied muscovy and had pied guineas. The pied pattern is clearly different from the mottled pattern. It is also clearly different from the mottled patterns that were thought to be pied back in the day.

This is an interesting subject for me since I've worked with exchequer leghorns which are still not agreed on or completely understood since although they have the mottling gene but not the typical mottled pattern.
They were once thought to be pied.

Sorry neither bird is pied.
You need to quit relying on "Google images" to be fact with their pattern descriptions.
Google any breed or pattern of chicken and you'll see many incorrect images.
Pied in chickens isn't the same in other birds. No pied pattern is the same. Google is the only web page my phone uses, unless you can think of another one. FireFox is pretty much the same as Google.

Back
Top Bottom