Pied Peafowl?????

Silver pied can only have like 10% color it think, they're mostly white. Here's our Houdini, as a baby we thought he/she was silver pied but as he got older more color came in so i'd say he's just pied now, alot of white still but not enough to be silver.
Houdini at 5 days. 2nd to bottom - bottom is George/a 5 days old - pied.

here's Houdini/a at three weeks on the right. on the left is Rose our bs hen - she's mixed with something we have yet to figure out.

and to compare with georgea here they are at 3.5 weeks. from the first picture its alot of change. George is up front looking down. Houdini is in the back. rose is being curious.

And heres houdini at 5 weeks,
Here they all are at 6.5 weeks. Houdini on the left, george up front and rose on the right.
see how much color they gained in just 6 weeks? it suprised me, but they are our first peas.

and here they are currently - 12 weeks. Houdini George then Rose.

Here's Houdini now at 20 weeks/5months. He got soooo big! Still mostly white, but more color than a silver pied i think. on the other side his wings are more white.

and here's a different angle on houdini at 5 months.

And here's all three at 5 months. It's hard to get a good pict of all three together now. Houdini's up front Rose on the left and George right.

That's all :)

Silver pied has mostly to do with genetics. A White gene, a Pied gene and a White-Eyed gene combined together makes silver pied. Though there are also "Pied White-eyed" birds, that lack the White gene. Genetics are complicated.

Sometimes silver pied have minimal coloring like this guy:
blslpi.jpg

And sometimes they have more coloring like this:
silverpied.jpg

No two birds are the same, I'd still say Houdini is a Silver pied, but I could be wrong. You'll just have to wait and see when he/she grows up! :)

These photos are not mine.

Last edited:
Silver pied has mostly to do with genetics. A White gene, a Pied gene and a White-Eyed gene combined together makes silver pied. Though there are also "Pied White-eyed" birds, that lack the White gene. Genetics are complicated.

Sometimes silver pied have minimal coloring like this guy:
blslpi.jpg

And sometimes they have more coloring like this:
silverpied.jpg

No two birds are the same, I'd still say Houdini is a Silver pied, but I could be wrong. You'll just have to wait and see when he/she grows up! :)
These photos are not mine.
WOW They look great. How old are your birds?

Quote: WOW thanks for the information and GREAT looking birds
thumbsup.gif
!!! I think that when I get a pen built. I will get Purple Silver pied peafowl but I am not sure there are SOOO many.

here's Houdini/a at three weeks on the right. on the left is Rose our bs hen - she's mixed with something we have yet to figure out.

and to compare with georgea here they are at 3.5 weeks. from the first picture its alot of change. George is up front looking down. Houdini is in the back. rose is being curious.

And heres houdini at 5 weeks,
Here they all are at 6.5 weeks. Houdini on the left, george up front and rose on the right.
see how much color they gained in just 6 weeks? it suprised me, but they are our first peas.

and here they are currently - 12 weeks. Houdini George then Rose.

Here's Houdini now at 20 weeks/5months. He got soooo big! Still mostly white, but more color than a silver pied i think. on the other side his wings are more white.

and here's a different angle on houdini at 5 months.

And here's all three at 5 months. It's hard to get a good pict of all three together now. Houdini's up front Rose on the left and George right.

That's all :)

My peafowl just hatched 6 eggs today. She is India Blue-by all appearances, and my male in India Blue. The babies from last years clutch ended up with a friend and they matured with pied markings. I was sure mine must have died, and she replaced them with Pieds. But Lo and behold! in today's nest of 6 chicks, there are clearly some very light colored peeps amongst the darker ones. So, I guess the gene for Pied can be a recessive anale(sp?) .

Back
Top Bottom