Pied Peafowl?????

Okay, this is excellent information, I just wish my brain wasn't so rusty on this stuff. I'll get it though-give me time. To answer your question, the six chicks are from the same hen and cock. Both my birds look like full India Blues.... though now I'm looking more closely and noticing white wing(flight?) feathers on each adult. The two adults are not related to each other. Knowing where the adults came from, I would say the hen has a sketchier background, but the male came from a more controlled breeding enviroment. I don't want to inundate you with pictures, but I am including pictures of last years chicks from the same parents. Also pictures that show some white wing feather on the male and female. Are these feathers significant?st Years chciks- same parents .
The parents (not the middle hen-she passed away) -are those w.f.f.s
My only male -are those white wing feathers significant? They rarely show- but looking closely now. The IB male father in the picture is split to white ( common) and the hen is split to pied.Hence you got pied chicks and Indiablue chicks.

So the white wing feathers are significant? " Split to white" means he is not pure India Blue? You said "common" meaning? If either one of these birds were bred to a pure India blue, what would I get? Thanks

He is 50% Indiablue and 50 % white genetically. and your hen is not pure either. she is split to pied.White flight feathers are common to birds that are split to white. white flight feathers can be produced in all colors.For example Bronze male x white hen = All chicks will be split white. Indiablue split white male x Indiablue hen = 50 % of chicks will be India blue split white and the other 50% will be IB.

Last edited:
I can't help it, I feel so ashamed! My birds are not the blue-bloods I thought they were. (head down...shuffling away).
Now the three brown chicks, I can't see any w.f.fs on them(have'nt picked them up to spread wing yet), but I can assume its probably there? And I gather they will look just like their parents-India blue- with no pied markings, yet will will throw the pied/white gene to their offspring?

They are most gorgeous peafowl-- No need to feel ashamed. Your hen, though split pied,-- looks 100% pure Indiablue.. The male also looks almost Indiablue except a couple of white flight feathers. The w.f.f actually makes him look pretty. Besides, this pair produce ( already did) some pure Indiablue chicks also

Last edited:
They are most gorgeous peafowl-- No need to feel ashamed. Your hen, though split pied,-- looks 100% pure India blue.. The male also looks almost India blue except a couple of white flight feathers. The w.f.f actually makes him look pretty. Besides, this pair produce ( already did) some pure Indiablue chicks also
Thank you, very kind. So you seem extremely knowledgeable about the peafowl and genetics? Is this a profession or a hobby? Do you happen to know how to sex the chicks as well? I would love any information you have there. Thanks, Molly

Silver pied can only have like 10% color it think, they're mostly white. Here's our Houdini, as a baby we thought he/she was silver pied but as he got older more color came in so i'd say he's just pied now, alot of white still but not enough to be silver.
Houdini at 5 days. 2nd to bottom - bottom is George/a 5 days old - pied.

here's Houdini/a at three weeks on the right. on the left is Rose our bs hen - she's mixed with something we have yet to figure out.

and to compare with georgea here they are at 3.5 weeks. from the first picture its alot of change. George is up front looking down. Houdini is in the back. rose is being curious.

And heres houdini at 5 weeks,
Here they all are at 6.5 weeks. Houdini on the left, george up front and rose on the right.
see how much color they gained in just 6 weeks? it suprised me, but they are our first peas.

and here they are currently - 12 weeks. Houdini George then Rose.

Here's Houdini now at 20 weeks/5months. He got soooo big! Still mostly white, but more color than a silver pied i think. on the other side his wings are more white.

and here's a different angle on houdini at 5 months.

And here's all three at 5 months. It's hard to get a good pict of all three together now. Houdini's up front Rose on the left and George right.

That's all :)
Houdini is incredible
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom