Pig Hunting w/ Chickens

As an NC Native (really hard to come by in NC these days) I can say that I have NEVER seen a wild pig anywhere around here. With all the woods being murdered by subdivisions I find it hard to believe that any type of wild pig can survive here. I live in a small county (for now) and when a large wild animal is found here it is on the front page of the local paper. All we've had here in the past 24 years of my life was a bear. I'm not saying there's no way there's wild pigs here, I'm just saying they're very good at hiding if they are here. I've never in my life heard of hunters comin up on a wild pig. Like I said, not saying they're not here but in 24 years you'd think I would have heard someone say they've seen one.

They are very secretive and even in areas with large populations are not readily seen. In the late 1990's, NC went through an extensive program to eliminate the swine disease Pseudorabies from the state. One of the largest obstacles to this elimination was the existence of large feral swine populations throughout the state. As domestic herds were cleaned up, they would become re-infected by feral hogs. At that time, the Dept of Ag conducted a field survey to determine feral hog populations and they found them in every county including those urban areas like Wake and Mecklenburg counties.

devora,
Are you scared for your chickens? I think I would be. She looks like her ninnies are big and full, she may have babes around. I would be scared for myself as well. I hope everything goes ok with you and your chickens and the pigs pass by your property without any trouble.

I don't know what other state's hunting rules are but in Missouri, feral hogs are are problem esp in southern part of the state and per the dept of conservation, feral hogs are one of the only animals in the state that are encouraged to be hunted with no limits or seasons.

They mostly stick to the rough areas and stick esp to the boondocks stick areas. As I understand it, the majority in Missouri are due to years of losing pork markets where those who rasied them, let them go wild rather than to feed them out and take them to market since the pork market crashed; it was cheaper to let them run wild rather than to take a larger lost in feeding them out mostly in the last 20 years.

Having been rasied on a farm with pigs, I can't think of anything more agressive as a moma pig with little one's, even in the penned area, they can get very aggresive, in the wild they would many times worse. IF you come across a feral sow with a litter, back off and give them plenty of room as the sow won't think twice about defending her little ones even if there isnt a real risk!!

Quote:
First off, thank you for ‘ninnies.’ I love language and regionalisms and am now adding that to my vocab.
lol.png

She does have babies; I saw them the other day. I'm gettin' scared.

OK, it sounds like from all you savvy folks have told me this situation may not be the cute photo op I've taken it to be! Huh. I don't know if that big ol' pig could even fit in the coop, but we're certainly going to reinforce the run.

I guess I was thinking a chicken could outrun a pig. But I have the kind of brainy chickens that walk right up to a rattler and say "How d'ya do?" so I should be more cautious. Thanx SO much for the heads up everyone!

Quote:
First off, thank you for ‘ninnies.’ I love language and regionalisms and am now adding that to my vocab.
lol.png

She does have babies; I saw them the other day. I'm gettin' scared.

OK, it sounds like from all you savvy folks have told me this situation may not be the cute photo op I've taken it to be! Huh. I don't know if that big ol' pig could even fit in the coop, but we're certainly going to reinforce the run.

I guess I was thinking a chicken could outrun a pig. But I have the kind of brainy chickens that walk right up to a rattler and say "How d'ya do?" so I should be more cautious. Thanx SO much for the heads up everyone!

Devora...one thing that will defintely deter a pig is an electric fence. One jolt and they will not venture back. They are very smart so a good shock will stay in their memory banks for a long time. About 4-6 inches off the
ground is ideal.

Hmmm time to make chorizo. Better eat those pigs before they eat your chickens or dogs. My brother goes to Texas to shoot feral hogs. He has them made up into sausage; I guess they may be to tough for other uses.

Good luck with them.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom