Pig Pen into Coop: Need Chicken Friendly hole patch ideas!

NeeleysAVLChicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Leicester, NC
Hi guys, so we've got an old pig pen on our property that we're converting into a new coop for the load of babies I have in the brooder. The pig pen itself is fully enclosed, but with a variety of open spacing (4"-6") between the boards on the floor and walls. We were trying to use scrap lumber only to close the whole thing in, leaving just a little ventilation at the top.

We were relatively successful, but because of the nature of the scrap lumber we were using, there are still a number of holes, mostly smaller than a fist. Aside from cutting a ton of tiny pieces of wood to patchwork the thing together, have you guys had any success with using spray foam insulation or plaster, etc for patching up a coop? Or have other ideas?

THANKS!!

Last edited:
Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking, I was just worried that the girls may like it too much and take to picking at it. Anyone else have any "spray foam insulation in a coop" experience?

Well, bear in mind that that expando-foam stuff will keep out drafts but NOT predators -- a raccoon or weasel or whatever will go through it in approximately no time flat.

Pat

how about some chicken wire/hardware cloth as reinforcement to the insulation "stuff"? Kinda like rebar in concrete...will also help w/ predators (hardware cloth only).

Im wondering what this beast looks like, please post pics?
big_smile.png

I know this might sound crazy but I have done this with a rat hole. I cut the top out of a can .Juice can, coffee can or veggi can and nailed over holes.Pound down any rough edges.

Back
Top Bottom