Pig Scramble! & Pigs LOVE dogs! New pics, he's getting big!

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Our local fire department sponsors a pig scramble. Two years ago we went, and DD backed out at the last minute, and DS caught one, but was so surprised he let go LOL! DD was so upset with herself for not doing it. She has vehemently talked about how she is going to do it next time. DS was mad they didn't give him the pig, in his mind, he caught it fair and square, and says next time he WONT let go. They have planned, plotted, conspired and dreamed of the day they would get another chance. We missed it last year, so it was with great anticipation we arrived at the event this year. Man, were those kids SERIOUS!
47962_dscn2739.jpg

47962_dscn2743.jpg

47962_dscn2745.jpg

So I am taking pictures of them all, so much fun! DD caught him by his leg, and DS ran up and pinned him, just in case sis let go!
ep.gif

Proud Kids! Proud Mama! But what in the world are we going to do with a PIG!!!!
Fortunately I have a dog, who seems to think it is his lifes work to watch over the pig.....
47962_dscn2778.jpg

47962_dscn2769.jpg

47962_dscn2766.jpg

So he roams the yard by day, he is sound asleep in the henhouse right now, and puts himself to bed in the doghouse at night! He is so clean, he always poops in the same spot, I wish I could get the chickens to do that LOL!

Last edited:
Awww! Yeah hes gonna get big! But they say that hogs make better pet pigs than the little pot belly pigs.
Congrats!

But i dont like that game,...chasing the pigs like that and stuffing them in a bag....
sad.png

Anyways, they make awesome pets! (or dinner)..
hide.gif

Enjoy!

be very careful pigs love chickens and will eat em up....if you plan on having a garden next year deside where you want it and fence it...put your pig there and if you havent put a ring in his nose he will till it for you! and get all those roots out to boot...if its a male is he fixed? if not and you wanna eat him better take care of that little chore now....keep him wormed feed him good give him lots of water and shade being a white pig he will sunburn...have fun

My pigs were raised with chickens and dont eat them.... but they dont live in the coop with them.
But they do roam the yard together with no problems.

Pigs EAT chickens!? No way! Never heard of such a thing! I was afraid he might step on the little ones, but they are doing fine together. When I am not home I put him in th doghouse, I made a screen door with cage wire so he still gets fresh air and can see everything thats going on. It has a vented, overhanging roof, and it's in the shade. It is plenty big for him to stretch out & his food and water too. I am watching him to see how they do together, honestly I would be more worried about the chickens eating HIM
gig.gif
He goes in and out of the poultry netting, it isn't strong enough to bother him apparently, and he has been eating their food and drinking their water ( I guess it tastes better than his own
tongue.png
) He take naps in there during the day, and last night instead of going to bed in the doghouse, he went to bed in the henhouse, he burrowed in under the net boxes. This morning when I let him out he came out first, and then the chickens, they did their woohoo crazy running and flapping around happy to be out thing, and he got excited and did a little goofy jump and run in a circle, squealing and grunting!
lau.gif

We are enjoying him, thats for sure, he is letting me scratch him and he has been following me around nudging me with his nose and biting my toes. He even gave me kiss with his snout when I sat on the grass with him last night.
love.gif

That is a great tip about the garden! I am fencing it in to keep the dogs out, and was going to have to hoe it by hand in the spring...

Mahonri- She's 9! She thinks thats neat she has a "twin"! This is HER pig by the way.....she wants to be CLEAR about that,even though I am HOGGING him!
lol.png

Last edited:
Our pigs have always been housed with chickens.
We've had no problems other than having to raise the feed bins and make sure that no body nests on the ground. (Pigs LOVE eggs.)

You'll soon be addicted to the pigs. Ours can do more tricks than the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom