1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pig waterer

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SunnySkies, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Anybody easily DIY?

Growing up, we had a huge, heavy, metal waterer that the pigs could not overturn, but that isn't practical for my pig set up. I have the pigs in a homemade pig tractor. I only have two 12-13 week old feeder pigs. Their waterer needs to be something I can easily move by myself.

I'm thinking of attaching a pig nipple to a 5 gallon bucket and hanging it from the tractor fence. If it works, I'd make a second one.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    My local consignment store sells these blue bins (I think they may be former mineral or salt tubs).
    My pig cannot overturn it.

[​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we use shower tray.

4. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    They have a rubber tub I bought to feed horses in and a plastic pool, but they manage to overturn the tub and they like getting in the pool. I will have to look for a tub like that, but we don't have a consignment shop in town.

I did buy a pig nipple and need to drill a hole in a 5 gallon bucket and see if I can make something that way. They couldn't fill that with mud. They would still get their pool, until it gets to freezing here anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by