Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Pigeon cant squeeze thru chain-link fence opening. Unless you have some mini version of pigies:gig
Well... I was thinking young homers. But I have Portuguese tumblers, which are kinda mini :)
IMG_20190330_135215.jpg
IMG_20190330_135231.jpg

The pigeon racing clubs around here will not help at all if you're using the birds for dog training, so I'm having a hard time finding any.
IMO that's a pretty narrow-minded view, or they misunderstand the type of training. Pigeons were domesticated at least 5000 yrs ago and have performed many tasks for their human caretakers. I don't see the training you plan as any more dangerous than racing.:confused: Many birds are lost and die during racing. I also think CL is a good place for you to look. Good luck.

IMO that's a pretty narrow-minded view, or they misunderstand the type of training. Pigeons were domesticated at least 5000 yrs ago and have performed many tasks for their human caretakers. I don't see the training you plan as any more dangerous than racing.:confused: Many birds are lost and die during racing. I also think CL is a good place for you to look. Good luck.
very good point. More are lost and killed in racing than training.

I’ve been looking on Craigslist, but haven’t found any young ones. Unless I’m misunderstanding how young they need to be. I didn’t have to do this with my Pointer. He pretty much instinctively does what he should.

I think people picture dogs mauling birds. Obviously, that’s not what hunting dogs do. Who wants to eat a bird that’s already been half-eaten by a dog? My dogs are very soft mouthed. I caught my setter carrying around a duck when he was a pup. She was very indignant, but waddled off unhurt when I got her out of his mouth and put her down. On the rare occasion they have manage to catch a bird in flight, it gets a little slobbery and frightened, but other than that they are fine. That’s what we need pigeons for - to teach them “whoa.” In other words, stay put until you’re given the signal to retrieve. I have a check cord attached to the collar that I can step on to hold the dog in place in case they get any ideas of taking off when the bird flushes.

I’m m sure there are people out there who hunt that don’t treat their training birds right, but there are those people in any sport. I wish we wouldn’t all get painted with the same brush. I love birds. I have waterfowl and parrots and have other birds since I was a kid. Regardless of what I’m using them for, I’m going to take care of them.

I’ve been looking on Craigslist, but haven’t found any young ones. Unless I’m misunderstanding how young they need to be. I didn’t have to do this with my Pointer. He pretty much instinctively does what he should.

I think people picture dogs mauling birds. Obviously, that’s not what hunting dogs do. Who wants to eat a bird that’s already been half-eaten by a dog? My dogs are very soft mouthed. I caught my setter carrying around a duck when he was a pup. She was very indignant, but waddled off unhurt when I got her out of his mouth and put her down. On the rare occasion they have manage to catch a bird in flight, it gets a little slobbery and frightened, but other than that they are fine. That’s what we need pigeons for - to teach them “whoa.” In other words, stay put until you’re given the signal to retrieve. I have a check cord attached to the collar that I can step on to hold the dog in place in case they get any ideas of taking off when the bird flushes.
how old are the birds your looking at? Why don't you get older ones, allow them to breed, then fly the babies?

Back
Top Bottom