Pigeon Bulletin Board?

Pics
That's where you keep your flock - the grocery store parking lot. Cuts down on your feed costs.:gig
:lau

I'm fixing to head there now...I'll keep an eye out for my flock.

Hm..what does one call a group/flock of pigeons?

That's fantastic! :woot Are you going to start flying them away from the loft?
Yes but not yet, first they need to get familiar with the area on their own. Then when they have started 'routing', ie flying some distance and back on their own I could start training tosses away from the loft.:D

I'm kind of bummed that storms are forecast for tomorrow, I did want to let them out again.

Anybody know what this white spot by the squabs eye could be? Noticed when I banded them this afternoon.

P1010374.JPG

Attachments

• P1010374.JPG
    P1010374.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
THAT IS FANTASTIC,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup One for each original
One thing you may take into consideration is the flock of the Lumber yard crowd. Good to not let yours out when they are out flying. Timing is everything. Never know if your birds might just decide to join in the fun with other flock. Also in the next few times, let them out hungry. Once they are WELL homeset, then not an issue. I used to let my flock loft fly and there was always a supply of food in their loft. I did things differently than other fanciers. :idunno(feed on a schedule). When they flew out, they returned because they wanted to , rather than because they were hungry. BTW,, I am in favor of flying hungry when training.
Mine would cruise for a while, and return to sit in a high tree within eye view of loft. Then cruise some more, until they decided to come home for the eve. For dinner, or tea,,, :idunno not sure which..:gig
I am SOOOOOOO HAPPY for you.
That white spot by the eye,,,,,, I think it is just some dried food from the parents feeding.

THAT IS FANTASTIC,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup One for each original
One thing you may take into consideration is the flock of the Lumber yard crowd. Good to not let yours out when they are out flying. Timing is everything. Never know if your birds might just decide to join in the fun with other flock. Also in the next few times, let them out hungry. Once they are WELL homeset, then not an issue. I used to let my flock loft fly and there was always a supply of food in their loft. I did things differently than other fanciers. :idunno(feed on a schedule). When they flew out, they returned because they wanted to , rather than because they were hungry. BTW,, I am in favor of flying hungry when training.
Mine would cruise for a while, and return to sit in a high tree within eye view of loft. Then cruise some more, until they decided to come home for the eve. For dinner, or tea,,, :idunno not sure which..:gig
I am SOOOOOOO HAPPY for you.
That white spot by the eye,,,,,, I think it is just some dried food from the parents feeding.
Thank you so much, esp the reassurance about the white spot. It does appear to be something adhered to him rather than coming from him... I couldn't help but worry ...POX! even though it doesn't look like it. I very rarely see the lumber yard flock..when I do it's a treat to see them do a few circles as a tight kit and head off to wherever they feed - (i never see them at the groc store @KikisGirls ;-) .
I confess I fed the 3 YB before i let them out contrary to popular wisdom. I didn't want them picking at stuff on the ground....

So this little guy is pretty interesting.
P1010377.JPG

For one thing I can say that he will be a cockbird. This is because the pairing of his blue bar dad and ash-red check mom produces gender linked color in the chicks. This boy has 2 color alleles - ash-red dominant from mom and blue from dad. If he were female he would have inheirited no color allele from mom and blue from dad, the only other possible color for the female would be brown if dad carries brown(not expressed) along with blue(dominant over brown). So it's pretty cool to be able to tell the gender of chicks from this pairing at a young age.

Another interesting thing about him is how being raised by his single mom has apparently resulted in self feeding at a very young age. He is much skinnier and more active than these 2 who have never experienced hunger. lol
P1010378.JPG

They do come out of the nest but really aren't even walking much. Little ash-red has already found himself on the floor once and learned to walk early, looking to get fed imo. I did cave and hand fed him some thawed peas once a day for the last few days while he was learning to feed himself. He probably would have survived but he seem really grateful for them. So cute to see him fluttering his wings in excitement as he eats his seeds on his own. I bought some of the smaller dove seed mix to start him out but he now eats the reg mix with peas as shown in the pic. He is 26 days old today and already weaned.
All 3 of these have the same dad.
Ash-red check Mom is sitting on 2 eggs again and this time dad is taking a turn so I'm letting them do it bc of the sex-link color in chicks.

eta - another thing I noticed is that little red has been vocalising squeaker like for some time now(again-food seeking behavior imo) whereas the 2 'priviledged' well-fed ones are mostly silent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom