Pigeon Catching

DotTheHen

Songster
May 6, 2019
My male escaped my aviary and left my female by herself inside. The aviary was repaired but we don’t know how to catch him. The two seem to be a mated pair and they are not let out. So this is the first time he’s really been outside of our aviary. He’s a white homer so hopefully he will come back.

We saw him on top of our barn today, which is nearby the aviary. He flew away after a while. We put the female in a crate inside the aviary and left the door open until it got dark, then we closed it.

The only other place the male has lived is his old owners pigeon breeding aviary about 2 hours from where I live. I don’t think he will fly all the way back there.

What are some tips to catching him? He’s not very tame, so it’s hard for my to catch him even when he’s contained. Should I continue to leave the aviary door open? Thanks for any help. Also, how many days of not seeing him until I start to look for another pigeon for my widow?

He has lived with me since the beginning of October, if that changes anything. And he seems to be close to the female I have. I will contact his previous owner to be on watch out for him.

What are some tips to catching him? He’s not very tame, so it’s hard for my to catch him even when he’s contained. Should I continue to leave the aviary door open? Thanks for any help. Also, how many days of not seeing him until I start to look for another pigeon for my widow?
I'm sorry to hear this. :(

Continue to leave the aviary door open, with your other pigeon visible but contained. I would wait a solid week before looking for a new bird. I had one come back two weeks ago, it had been missing 5 months! Tough little red check hen:
IMG_20200427_141936.jpg

Homers fly to where they were born and raised.
Raised meaning what? Weaned? Full grown? Flown from?

This isn't always true. Sure, if you buy a year old bird that flew daily it ain't coming back to you if it gets out! But when you buy a year or less old bird that was NEVER flown at the old loft it may resettle. I have settled birds that flew and were over six months. I had kept them inside for two years. Time pays off.

Thank you, I hope he comes back. He escaped two days ago, he wasn’t seen for a whole day, and then we saw him on the barn roof today. Just to prepare, are there any pigeon hatcheries online like there are with chickens? And are pigeons easy to ship, in case someone on BYC is selling one?

Thank you, I hope he comes back. He escaped two days ago, he wasn’t seen for a whole day, and then we saw him on the barn roof today. Just to prepare, are there any pigeon hatcheries online like there are with chickens? And are pigeons easy to ship, in case someone on BYC is selling one?
Yes. Stromberg sells them, but you ate going to PAY! look locally, find
local pigeon shows, etc. What state are you in? I may be able to pull some contacts if needed. I have a pretty good pigeon circle. Haha.

Thank you, I hope he comes back. He escaped two days ago, he wasn’t seen for a whole day, and then we saw him on the barn roof today.
This indicates that pigeon has no intentions of returning to his former loft. He would have been gone already and no site of him 2 days later. I think that he will get hungry soon, and will remember that food is inside aviary. Hunger seems to steer most creatures to food source.
Just like BP mentioned,, keep aviary open with other pigeon contained, but visible. Also keep some seeds spread on floor of aviary.
I really think he will come back inside aviary in next few days. :old :thumbsup

Ahh that makes me happy to know that he will probably come back. I’ve put the female in a dog crate on the floor of the aviary, and left the door open with food/water on the ground. Hopefully I’ll spot him somewhere again today.

And I figured that it would be expensive, ha! I’m in the SC area, but we traveled as far a Charlotte NC to get the last pigeon. If there’s anyone closer to the Columbia area than Charlotte, I’ll go with them. If not I’ll just go to my old fancier.

Ahh that makes me happy to know that he will probably come back. I’ve put the female in a dog crate on the floor of the aviary, and left the door open with food/water on the ground. Hopefully I’ll spot him somewhere again today.

And I figured that it would be expensive, ha! I’m in the SC area, but we traveled as far a Charlotte NC to get the last pigeon. If there’s anyone closer to the Columbia area than Charlotte, I’ll go with them. If not I’ll just go to my old fancier.
Have you searched on Craig's List?

Back
Top Bottom