Pigeon Companions

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Hello! I was just wondering what other types of animals/birds can be housed with Pigeons. If I had a pair of pigeons could they be housed with Serama's or something? Or any bantam for that matter? Or standard size chickens too... or ducks, geese and guineas? lol I only ahve chickens right now but I was just wondering what else a pigeon can be housed with!
big_smile.png

Thanks
big_smile.png

I know alot of people keep their pigeons with other things however here is my opinion. Pigeons are known to scalp baby pigeons that fall out of their nest (wild way of protecting the group it seems), I would be afraid some overly protective pigeons might regard young chickens as something to get rid of. Plus if something was to hop into a pigeon nest it could be dangerous to both animals. But mainly I dont mix because of the potential to pass diseases back and forth that each other might not have gotten if not mixed.

You have to be careful with grown bantams or large fowl. They think newly hatched pigeons are food!I do raise my babay chicks on the floor of the pigeon loft and they all seem to get along.As soon as the chicks start roosting up with the pigeons I put them else where.

Okay
smile.png
I was just wondering... if I did get pigeons it'd have to be like wayyy in the future.. unless my mom decideds to build a barn
tongue.png

I keep my pigeons in a pen with my silkies and oegb. The chickens are constantly bullying the pigeons so I am thinking of ways to seperate them.

How would a ringneck dove do with something like a budgie or a cockatiel? I'm wanting to get my dove a companion, but I don't want to stick something in with it that it would have issues with. Finding doves around here is kind of hard, so this is the only reason I ask.

Back
Top Bottom