Pigeon Companions

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by GlitterKitty, Jul 25, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Hello! I was just wondering what other types of animals/birds can be housed with Pigeons. If I had a pair of pigeons could they be housed with Serama's or something? Or any bantam for that matter? Or standard size chickens too... or ducks, geese and guineas? lol I only ahve chickens right now but I was just wondering what else a pigeon can be housed with! [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Songster

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I know alot of people keep their pigeons with other things however here is my opinion. Pigeons are known to scalp baby pigeons that fall out of their nest (wild way of protecting the group it seems), I would be afraid some overly protective pigeons might regard young chickens as something to get rid of. Plus if something was to hop into a pigeon nest it could be dangerous to both animals. But mainly I dont mix because of the potential to pass diseases back and forth that each other might not have gotten if not mixed.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have pigeons & they fly from perch to perch. On the ground I have Jumbo Brown Coturnix. They are living together in harmony. [​IMG]

4. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Songster

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    You have to be careful with grown bantams or large fowl. They think newly hatched pigeons are food!I do raise my babay chicks on the floor of the pigeon loft and they all seem to get along.As soon as the chicks start roosting up with the pigeons I put them else where.

5. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Okay [​IMG] I was just wondering... if I did get pigeons it'd have to be like wayyy in the future.. unless my mom decideds to build a barn [​IMG]

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Quote:My uncle has that kind of set-up, and all of the birds work pretty well together. Quail + Dove = Good [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My pigeons fly across the pen from perch to perch, & my quail never leave the ground. It does work out very well.

8. 95yj

95yj Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    Pigeons and quail mostly work because pigeons stay up high on perches and quail are ground birds.

9. muscovy94

muscovy94 Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I keep my pigeons in a pen with my silkies and oegb. The chickens are constantly bullying the pigeons so I am thinking of ways to seperate them.

10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    How would a ringneck dove do with something like a budgie or a cockatiel? I'm wanting to get my dove a companion, but I don't want to stick something in with it that it would have issues with. Finding doves around here is kind of hard, so this is the only reason I ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by