Pigeon Egg Omelet

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by punk-a-doodle, Oct 4, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Tried looking up eating pigeon eggs since our ringneck started laying. It was hard to find anyone who had tried them. Most comments were along the lines of, "ew, that's so nasty, that's like eating a sewer rat". XD

Has anyone tried them? I hear the whites stay tranlucent when cooked, which might put me off a bit honestly. I like my whites white when cooked. I've had quail eggs before, and liked how they were a bit richer in taste compared to chicken eggs. How would you describe the taste of pigeon eggs?

2. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    Maybe just stick to chickens...

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:x2 [​IMG]

4. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    LOVE your pictures! Especially bunch of you with the crew of 6 and the one real close up -- looks mighty proud!

5. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Google already helped provide me with a million answers as to what people who have never eaten a pigeon egg think of them, I'm hoping to hear from some people who have. [​IMG]

6. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Hm, now I feel obligated to eat an egg or two and document the process, since this seems to only have been done by gourmet cooks. Next clutch... [​IMG]

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I hard Boiled a pigeon egg, it wasn't fully cooked.

8. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    ive eaten them, they were good, not bland, but differant than chicken eggs.. imagine that your chickens eat their own poop, and things that eat their poop, then tell me a primary only eats fresh seed and green eater's eggs are disgusting, as my doves and pigeons poop out of the nest, while most most people's chickens just poop were they lay.. any more thoughts on pigeon eggs vs chicken eggs??? besides look at the difference in bloom barriers and shell thickness.

9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    My dad has eaten them and said they tasted like....eggs. So small and only laid every once in a while, so it was never worth it. He did have a problem with the gross looking whites though.

10. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. I kind of hope she takes a while to get back on the nest, as much as I want breakfast. She stops making her beautiful laughs and coos when nesting. ..And hope I can get past those clear egg 'whites'!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by