Pigeon hanging out in my backyard?

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everybody!So this pigeon came to my backyard yesterday. He literally landed a meter away and started walk into around the porch like he owned it. He ( or she) Is not scared of the dog or silkies. Daisy ( broody hen) chased him away but he only flew a few centimetres from the ground. Then he flew on the fence and flew down but very reluctantly. The cat started stalking him so I chased him away and he flew on top of the roof. He slept there all night. A few hours ago he flew down. Now he is walking around the garden. What should I do? There is a man that lives only a few houses away I think has pigeons but don’t these people brand them? For any advice thanks!

Attachments

• 7ABEAD8F-93DE-49D2-B90B-484F7AFE5BA6.jpeg
    7ABEAD8F-93DE-49D2-B90B-484F7AFE5BA6.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 6F629D91-5215-473F-9FE1-827F4F3EE8B4.jpeg
    6F629D91-5215-473F-9FE1-827F4F3EE8B4.jpeg
    806.9 KB · Views: 21
Looks like a lost domestic pigeon. He probably doesn’t belong to the person who lives close by or he would’ve flown back by now. Can you catch him? Pigeons without a flock, especially domestic ones, are at a much greater risk of predator attack.

Probably a lost/ escaped bird, they tend to “ask for help” in the way you’ve described. Usually people band them but not always, I have a few that I forgot to band before they got too large. If there’s no band that unfortunately does make locating an owner a lot more difficult. A lot of people post on Facebook or similar to try to find the owners.

I found feathers beside the fence:ththere was blood on only one of the feathers. I hope it flew awayand wasn’t killed. Should of caught him earlier:he. I’ll see if he will come back:fl If he will I will definitely catch him

@Pyxis @sourland @cavemanrich @backyard pigeons

Looks like a hawk attack, he’s lucky to get away and be found. Unfortunately, I haven’t dealt with any bad injuries like this but I’m going to give you the best help I can. If the crop is indeed torn that is indeed very serious, and the best bet would probably be to take him to a local wildlife rehabber or an avian vet that could properly assess his condition. Is he gasping for air, or bleeding heavily still? Until some other members can give any more advice, I would advise you to keep him somewhere dim and quiet to try to keep the shock and stress from the ordeal as low as possible. Maybe try to gently dab some of the blood away and snap a clearer picture of the crop is possible.

@Pyxis @sourland @cavemanrich @backyard pigeons

Looks like a hawk attack, he’s lucky to get away and be found. Unfortunately, I haven’t dealt with any bad injuries like this but I’m going to give you the best help I can. If the crop is indeed torn that is indeed very serious, and the best bet would probably be to take him to a local wildlife rehabber or an avian vet that could properly assess his condition. Is he gasping for air, or bleeding heavily still? Until some other members can give any more advice, I would advise you to keep him somewhere dim and quiet to try to keep the shock and stress from the ordeal as low as possible.
He is in a dark place. He is not panting but still bleeding.

The bleeding has to be stopped. Dabbing the blood away with gauze and applying corn starch to stop the bleeding is what I would do.
Don’t be afraid to liberally apply the starch, what doesn’t stick to the wound will simply dust right off

If he is not breathing abnormally that makes me hopeful that his airway wasn’t compromised by the attack. Not sure if a crop tear could heal on its own because bird wouldn’t be able to eat without food falling out. A vet could probably suture it

Back
Top Bottom