Pigeon laid an egg. (I have questions)

Goblingchickenfather

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
My pigeon Laid an egg today. It's unfertilized since we don't have a male bird. Should I take the egg or just wait for her to get tired of sitting on it?
She had laid another like a week ago, but it was at night and she was on top of a door so it broke lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20240104_195004.jpg
    IMG_20240104_195004.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240104_194948.jpg
    IMG_20240104_194948.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 7
I never had just hen pigeons,,, so the eggs were mostly fertile. When I did not want pigeons to hatch,,, (usually due to weather/season) I replaced the eggs with plastic lookalikes. (purchased at the place I purchased pigeon feed)
Reason;
If the eggs are just removed,,, the pigeon will make every effort to produce another egg. Pigeons are different from chickens. Chickens can produce multitude of eggs. Pigeons,,, when they produce an egg,, it takes much effort, and drain on their body.
If you can,,, I suggest you get ether one extra dummy egg, or a few, and keep on hand, Your other pigeons may decide to go broody at different times. It is a better option to keep indestructible eggs under pigeons. Eventually the non-fertile egg will/can pop,,,, not explode, :old but you get the picture.:frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I never had just hen pigeons,,, so the eggs were mostly fertile. When I did not want pigeons to hatch,,, (usually due to weather/season) I replaced the eggs with plastic lookalikes. (purchased at the place I purchased pigeon feed)
Reason;
If the eggs are just removed,,, the pigeon will make every effort to produce another egg. Pigeons are different from chickens. Chickens can produce multitude of eggs. Pigeons,,, when they produce an egg,, it takes much effort, and drain on their body.
If you can,,, I suggest you get ether one extra dummy egg, or a few, and keep on hand, Your other pigeons may decide to go broody at different times. It is a better option to keep indestructible eggs under pigeons. Eventually the non-fertile egg will/can pop,,,, not explode, :old but you get the picture.:frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you thank you. I'll have to see if any stores in Romania have dummy pigeon eggs. I took it for now. So if she makes another I'll keep a dummy egg under her.

Thank you thank you. I'll have to see if any stores in Romania have dummy pigeon eggs. I took it for now. So if she makes another I'll keep a dummy egg under her.
Good luck! In the USA stores sell fake plastic eggs during Easter, they’re meant to put candy inside and be used repeatedly. One year I came across a package that were roughly the same size as pigeon eggs. I painted them white and added some hot glue for weight, they last longer than the fake wooden eggs and you can also wash them :)

Back
Top Bottom