pigeon pairing

nithinG

Hatching
Mar 16, 2015
Mandya
How can we make good pair in pigeon? What are the characteristics of male and female? If one of the sex should be young or old or both should be of same age?

How can we make good pair in pigeon? What are the characteristics of male and female? If one of the sex should be young or old or both should be of same age?

Males usually are somewhat larger. Males have a louder coo. Males will also droop there wing, coo, and move in a circle when they are courting the female. When I could I paired young birds with older pigeons so that one had experience raising babies. Most of the time two young birds did good as far a being parents anyway. I tried to let the pigeons pick their own mates whenever I could; the bond is stronger that way.

How can we make good pair in pigeon?
The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

I have older cock and young pigeon will that make good breed and good in raising young one

I think that older birds paired to younger ones have a better chance of raising young successfully. Yes to your question. However, pigeons don't always form a good bond/mate when they are put in a cage and forced on each other. Give it a try and see what happens.

To force pair those who have mates, its best they cannot see or hear previous n or main mates, as takes away from bonding of possible new pair. give nest in each back corner of cage, as helps, as does larger cage that chase can take place and wear them out. good luck n let us know how goes.

Back
Top Bottom