Pigeon squabs sex

silkiecuddles

FortheLoveofSilkies
7 Years
Mar 1, 2015
Florida
The lady who I got my pigeons from said that whenever two squabs are born they're both either male or female. Is that true? So far mine have turned out that way. Two boys then two girls. Do they have special hatching patterns like goats do?

When I was seriously breeding Birmingham Rollers, I would put my pairs together on Feb. 14. Within two weeks most pairs would start laying. Since it was still very cold I would remove the first egg and replace it with a wooden nest egg. When the second egg was laid, I would return egg # 1 to the nest. This way the squabs would hatch on the same day, and they could grow equally in size. As Hokum has said some pairs start incubating as soon as the first egg is laid, and others just sort of hover over it. With my method the first eggs never got chilled.

My ferals, mixes, homers, rollers, show fancy types.. usually laid first egg a male n second a female. sometimes depending on non normal conditions, ill get both one sex. thats just how others around here n myself have had a lot of experiances. more over performance n racing/homing pigeons.

Last edited:
But on a serious note since there are normally two eggs per clutch there's a 50/50 chance of them being opposite genders though it is possible to get the same gender that's just more on the rarer occurrence. When my squabs hatch in the next couple of days I can probably update you on whether or not they are the same gender. I would not know if goats had the same hatching pattern because I've never seen a goat hatch, I don't thinks it's the same in goats because it seems like every breed is different and some have kids in the same gender or the opposite.

Last edited:
But on a serious note since there are normally two eggs per clutch there's a 50/50 chance of them being opposite genders though it is possible to get the same gender that's just more on the rarer occurrence. When my squabs hatch in the next couple of days I can probably update you on whether or not they are the same gender. I would not know if goats had the same hatching pattern because I've never seen a goat hatch, I don't thinks it's the same in goats because it seems like every breed is different and some have kids in the same gender or the opposite. 

Whoops. I didn't mean goats hatch. I meant when they give birth to "kids" they have patterns.

What pattern do goats follow?

My neighbor has goats. I think she said it's always two girls or two boys. Something like two girls, two girls, then two boys, then two girls, etc. I think. But I don't know much about goats.

Speaking from my experience .I have noticed the pattern is" There is NO PATTERN" outside of the fact they usually hatch in 19 days
I've never had this happen but people say the first one hatches at 18-19 day mark and the second egg hatches two days later. My last one was 12 hours apart

Back
Top Bottom