Pigeon Talk

I have started doing the exact same thing with my birds. My reasons may be different than your however. I have been plagued with hawk attacks. I find in the late evening hawks are done hunting for the day.

Since I adopted this policy it has reduced my losses considerably. I have lost the occasional bird do to the lengthening of the daylight hours. I would recommend the same solution to any Pigeon Fancier experiencing the same problem.

Two hours before sunset seems to work best.
Good to know!

So I have been loft flying my birds a few times a week when the weather is nice but hadn’t done consecutive days yet. I let them out on the 3rd with no issues. Let them out on the 4th and lost one, let then out today and lost another. I know it’s not a huge loss and only 2 but should I wait days in between loft flying?
How are you losing them? Hawks? sorry you lost them. You don't need to wait in between days usually. A little more info would be great! :)

How are you losing them? Hawks? sorry you lost them. You don't need to wait in between days usually. A little more info would be great! :)
Honestly, I’m not sure. I’m assuming a hawk or strong on the wings? But I was under the impression if they were strong on the wings they would have taken off the first time out. They are all trap trained and have no issues coming in at feed time or at least the ones that stay. I got them a few weeks apart so half have gone out a few more times then the other half but I’m missing ones from the first half. They have seemed to have started routing for a few minutes at a time while the other half is still doing laps around the house/pecking around on the ground. I’m sure there isn’t anything I can do and I know losing birds comes with flying them in just hoping not to lose too many before I get any babies as well as not lose all of my favorite colors.

Honestly, I’m not sure. I’m assuming a hawk or strong on the wings? But I was under the impression if they were strong on the wings they would have taken off the first time out. They are all trap trained and have no issues coming in at feed time or at least the ones that stay. I got them a few weeks apart so half have gone out a few more times then the other half but I’m missing ones from the first half. They have seemed to have started routing for a few minutes at a time while the other half is still doing laps around the house/pecking around on the ground. I’m sure there isn’t anything I can do and I know losing birds comes with flying them in just hoping not to lose too many before I get any babies as well as not lose all of my favorite colors.
I'm guessing hawks, while they are routing. Nothing you can do, except fly at different times of the day. I've heard two hours before sunset is best to avoid hawks. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will talk soon! What colors did you lose?

I'm guessing hawks, while they are routing. Nothing you can do, except fly at different times of the day. I've heard two hours before sunset is best to avoid hawks. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will talk soon! What colors did you lose?
I’ll have to try that out. I was worried about them not getting enough time out before I called them in for feed but I will see. And I lost my chocolate and a blue bar so far but I was really hoping to hook up the chocolate with one of my duns so I’m bummed, but I know it’s all part of it

I’ll have to try that out. I was worried about them not getting enough time out before I called them in for feed but I will see. And I lost my chocolate and a blue bar so far but I was really hoping to hook up the chocolate with one of my duns so I’m bummed, but I know it’s all part of it
stick with it. It will be a lot better when you can breed your own birds!

D676F247-5C7F-4D62-8355-AACB2ADF65F0.jpeg

Meet Cherry and Lime! Decided to go with the fruit names again since it seems like they will look very similar to their parents lol. They are six days old today!

Back
Top Bottom