biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now. There are no disease dissidents they can pass to eachother. They have a little cage with a small hole that They can get in, but the pigeons can't get in. I have watched them chase down flies, ants, beetles, etc. They are keeping mites in check to! I highly recommend anyone keeping them together. They need some high protein food, but they hardly eat anything ! Mine are getting closer eggs, which they will raise themsleves! I'm super excited. The size difference is amazing! View attachment 2221939 View attachment 2221940 View attachment 2221942 View attachment 2221943 View attachment 2221944 View attachment 2221945
@Kiki check out the quallies! The pigeons are keeping pets. lol

Kiki

⚡🚫Stop🚫 giving🚫 up🚫⚡
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now. There are no disease dissidents they can pass to eachother. They have a little cage with a small hole that They can get in, but the pigeons can't get in. I have watched them chase down flies, ants, beetles, etc. They are keeping mites in check to! I highly recommend anyone keeping them together. They need some high protein food, but they hardly eat anything ! Mine are getting closer eggs, which they will raise themsleves! I'm super excited. The size difference is amazing! View attachment 2221939 View attachment 2221940 View attachment 2221942 View attachment 2221943 View attachment 2221944 View attachment 2221945
Awwwwww.
I tried buttons once but mine were just to nutty for me.
I need to try them again when I can make time to handle them daily from hatch so they won't be so nuts.

Oct 18, 2018
Awwwwww.
I tried buttons once but mine were just to nutty for me.
I need to try them again when I can make time to handle them daily from hatch so they won't be so nuts.
Huh. Mine are pretty calm, and i rarely handle them much. I just leave them be I think behaviour is pretty genitic, but I'm not sure. If you ever need some button eggs, let me know. I got a bunch of colors. and They are soo close to laying eggs!

Dec 8, 2019
Valencia County, New Mexico
Kiwi and Peach are getting VERY protective over their new babies, and they don’t allow Nugget anywhere close, hissing and lunging at him when he perches too close. They’ve also been kicking him off the platform, and biting the back of his neck and pulling his feathers. If one of the parents is on the ground at the same time as Nugget, they will actively chase him and bite him. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to be hurting him, at least not too much. They’re not plucking feathers or anything, just kind of grabbing him and pulling him around. Poor Nuggets taken to standing on top of the waterer most of the time so I put him his own little platform to make it easier for him to stand.

I also got some plastic clip on bands for them and wrote my number in sharpie. Nuggets been taking little flights around the yard when I bring him out and make sure there’s no danger in the sky. When he’s done he always lands at the coop door and waits to be let in.

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
Kiwi and Peach are getting VERY protective over their new babies, and they don’t allow Nugget anywhere close, hissing and lunging at him when he perches too close. They’ve also been kicking him off the platform, and biting the back of his neck and pulling his feathers. If one of the parents is on the ground at the same time as Nugget, they will actively chase him and bite him. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to be hurting him, at least not too much. They’re not plucking feathers or anything, just kind of grabbing him and pulling him around. Poor Nuggets taken to standing on top of the waterer most of the time so I put him his own little platform to make it easier for him to stand.

I also got some plastic clip on bands for them and wrote my number in sharpie. Nuggets been taking little flights around the yard when I bring him out and make sure there’s no danger in the sky. When he’s done he always lands at the coop door and waits to be let in.
Yeah, poor Nugget needs to have his own platform or perch. It is normal for the parents to be very protective of their nest area. Be sure the food and water are placed where he can get to them. When the new babies are weaned they also will need their own perches, so start planning to remodel their housing a bit. :D

Top Bottom