Pigeon Talk

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now. There are no disease dissidents they can pass to eachother. They have a little cage with a small hole that They can get in, but the pigeons can't get in. I have watched them chase down flies, ants, beetles, etc. They are keeping mites in check to! I highly recommend anyone keeping them together. They need some high protein food, but they hardly eat anything ! Mine are getting closer eggs, which they will raise themsleves! I'm super excited. The size difference is amazing!
IMG_20200627_165832.jpg
IMG_20200627_165546.jpg
IMG_20200627_165626.jpg
IMG_20200627_165604.jpg
IMG_20200627_165433.jpg
IMG_20200627_165810.jpg

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now. There are no disease dissidents they can pass to eachother. They have a little cage with a small hole that They can get in, but the pigeons can't get in. I have watched them chase down flies, ants, beetles, etc. They are keeping mites in check to! I highly recommend anyone keeping them together. They need some high protein food, but they hardly eat anything ! Mine are getting closer eggs, which they will raise themsleves! I'm super excited. The size difference is amazing!View attachment 2221939View attachment 2221940View attachment 2221942View attachment 2221943View attachment 2221944View attachment 2221945
They are so cute!:love

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now.
Funny you mention Quail.. I just responded to another thread about quail, and reason I don't keep any. (cant free range them).
Quail do not live long naturally, but their eggs are good to eat. Small, so you do need more of them for a meal.
What are your forward plans with them, especially when they can multiply faster than rabbits :idunno
A larger quail only loft/coop???
Some of the Totalitarian Local Governments in my area that prohibit keeping backyard chickens, overlook keeping quail. :confused:

Funny you mention Quail.. I just responded to another thread about quail, and reason I don't keep any. (cant free range them).
Quail do not live long naturally, but their eggs are good to eat. Small, so you do need more of them for a meal.
What are your forward plans with them, especially when they can multiply faster than rabbits :idunno
A larger quail only loft/coop???
Some of the Totalitarian Local Governments in my area that prohibit keeping backyard chickens, overlook keeping quail. :confused:
Yeah, I hate that you cant free range them! But at least 6×8 is 40 more square feet them the 'reccomended' minimum square feet per bird. 1 square foot. :(

My plan? ... I'll keep enough to have three pairs in each coop I have, except my 5×3 loft, which only will have one pair in it at a time. So that is seven pairs, 14 birds. after that, I'll slowdown their breeding many only letting them hatch a few eggs each time. I have a pigeon guy in my area that I promised the first round of babies, so that's good. I want to build some quail tractor coop, fora pair, to move around the garden.but I won't build anything to big just for them. I enjoy them the way I have them, and don't want to get to many where they become to much of a hassle!

I haven't mentioned this yet, but I have been keeping button quail with my pigeons for several months now. There are no disease dissidents they can pass to eachother. They have a little cage with a small hole that They can get in, but the pigeons can't get in. I have watched them chase down flies, ants, beetles, etc. They are keeping mites in check to! I highly recommend anyone keeping them together. They need some high protein food, but they hardly eat anything ! Mine are getting closer eggs, which they will raise themsleves! I'm super excited. The size difference is amazing!View attachment 2221939View attachment 2221940View attachment 2221942View attachment 2221943View attachment 2221944View attachment 2221945
That says actually a very good idea! I’ve been wanting button quail for awhile now, so I might do that!

We got a baby y’all! Hoping that the other one hatched as well! I’ll get pics when I get home today.

That says actually a very good idea! I’ve been wanting button quail for awhile now, so I might do that!
I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I noticed you're coop has the normal hex chicken wire. The button quail walk right thru it no problem, your coop will require some renovation. They also can and will fly like a songbird, so no holes up high either!

congrats on the baby!

@Kiki check out the quallies! The pigeons are keeping pets. lol

Awwwwww.
I tried buttons once but mine were just to nutty for me.
I need to try them again when I can make time to handle them daily from hatch so they won't be so nuts.

Back
Top Bottom