Pigeon Talk

So I have a couple questions about training tosses etc. I did my first training toss this morning at 2.5 miles, all the birds came back in about 15 minutes which I was glad I didn’t lose any, but now they are in a tree. I did the release this am so it would be cooler, but my question is should I do my tossing closer to night time since I feed at night? My birds which have always trapped without an issue but have no interest in their food right now which I feel is because it’s not the normal feed time for them. Any input would be great. Thanks!

So I have a couple questions about training tosses etc. I did my first training toss this morning at 2.5 miles, all the birds came back in about 15 minutes which I was glad I didn’t lose any, but now they are in a tree. I did the release this am so it would be cooler, but my question is should I do my tossing closer to night time since I feed at night? My birds which have always trapped without an issue but have no interest in their food right now which I feel is because it’s not the normal feed time for them. Any input would be great. Thanks!
Have you done your food call? Many say it matters at what time you toss, and feed. Guess what. We raise homing pigeons! No it doesn't matter! (although it is good to get in routine for the birds, they do need to be pushed occassionally) so for mine I will toss at sunrise or in the afternoon. And once back, I call them in and they always trap within 30 seconds. So if they are in a tight food schedule, it may take some adjustments to get them used to feeding at different times.

are you tossing them tomorrow? If si, feed a bit less, and then toss them. Once back try to call them in and see what happens.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Your birds did great! Try putting a few peanuts on the landing board when you call them, but not enough for all, only the first ones. Once they expect them put the nuts just inside so they are eager to trap. I heard this from another fancier some time ago so I can't remember who. :oops:

Have you done your food call? Many say it matters at what time you toss, and feed. Guess what. We raise homing pigeons! No it doesn't matter! (although it is good to get in routine for the birds, they do need to be pushed occassionally) so for mine I will toss at sunrise or in the afternoon. And once back, I call them in and they always trap within 30 seconds. So if they are in a tight food schedule, it may take some adjustments to get them used to feeding at different times.

are you tossing them tomorrow? If si, feed a bit less, and then toss them. Once back try to call them in and see what happens.

I hope this helps!
I generally try to keep the regular schedule because I loft fly quite often and want them hungry. I did assume they would be a bit hungrier this am than they were, but I have also been feeding a bit more due to them flying more often and being a bit hungrier. I’m not planning on tossing tomorrow but plan on loft flying so maybe I will cut them back to what I had been feeding and see where it gets me. Thanks for the help!

Your birds did great! Try putting a few peanuts on the landing board when you call them, but not enough for all, only the first ones. Once they expect them put the nuts just inside so they are eager to trap. I heard this from another fancier some time ago so I can't remember who. :oops:
My pigeons sure do love their peanuts so that’s a very good thought! Thankyou!

I generally try to keep the regular schedule because I loft fly quite often and want them hungry. I did assume they would be a bit hungrier this am than they were, but I have also been feeding a bit more due to them flying more often and being a bit hungrier. I’m not planning on tossing tomorrow but plan on loft flying so maybe I will cut them back to what I had been feeding and see where it gets me. Thanks for the help!

My pigeons sure do love their peanuts so that’s a very good thought! Thankyou!
Another option then is to teach them a unique call for peanut treats, different from the regular food call.

I did my first training toss this morning at 2.5 miles, all the birds came back in about 15 minutes which I was glad I didn’t lose any
If you intend on doing tosses and from longer distances eventually, here is a good plan, and explanation why.
Lets assume you did your toss 2.5 miles West. Do next toss same distance but North, and the next East, and final South. The order of the directions is not significant, but only to give you idea, to rotate their return paths. The advantage of your pigeons being able to return from different directions is this,,,,,,, If they overshoot their loft, they have a better chance of finding it once they are somewhat lost.
Do successive tosses at longer distance in same fashion, rotating the directions.
The exact direction of North or Northwest, or Northeast, is not important. Just that you do in 4 opposite directions. :thumbsup

3EFBC685-4830-4A6C-A177-ACB73A5088EB.jpeg

Baby is now two weeks old and mom is in the background already sitting on another set of eggs

If you intend on doing tosses and from longer distances eventually, here is a good plan, and explanation why.
Lets assume you did your toss 2.5 miles West. Do next toss same distance but North, and the next East, and final South. The order of the directions is not significant, but only to give you idea, to rotate their return paths. The advantage of your pigeons being able to return from different directions is this,,,,,,, If they overshoot their loft, they have a better chance of finding it once they are somewhat lost.
Do successive tosses at longer distance in same fashion, rotating the directions.
The exact direction of North or Northwest, or Northeast, is not important. Just that you do in 4 opposite directions. :thumbsup
How often would you recommend tossing?

Back
Top Bottom