Jul 15, 2020
Washington State 8a/8b
The dri

but so worth it! Buy you some pigeons! Meet some fanciers! See 6000-8000 birds there! Do it! Haha. I'm in Tennessee, so its closer than Colorado. :)
Washington state's pretty far away, and I can't get anymore pigeons since we're likely going to have to move within the next 6 months ^^" I've seen some really cool shows up near Seattle before, but one day I'd love to visit a national show : D

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
I have a white pigeon pair. The female has yellowish eyes and the male has blackish brown eyes. The pair produces white babies with a little bit of red on the chest and wings and blackish brown eyes. The pair also produces grizzled babies with a blue tint with blackish brown eyes. What genetics could my breeder pair be caring and how can I get pure white birds from my current birds?
The first thing to understand about white pigeons is that white is NOT A COLOR. Sounds crazy, huh? But it's true.
Only three base colors are found in pigeons - Ash-red, Blue/black and brown, in order of dominance.
White feathers and pure white birds result from other genes that affect the expression of the color genes. So even a pure white bird carries the genes for one of the three base colors.
There are some good sources of further information online. I'll try to locate a link for you.

Oct 18, 2018
Washington state's pretty far away, and I can't get anymore pigeons since we're likely going to have to move within the next 6 months ^^" I've seen some really cool shows up near Seattle before, but one day I'd love to visit a national show : D
Oops. I was thinking king you were in Colorado. Sorry!

Danish aseels

Songster
Nov 27, 2019
Pakistan
I have a question.

What genes could be at play if a Pigeon when young has white feathers with black spots but as it matures and moults it loses its black colour and becomes pure white

(The pigeon has blackish brown eye)

Danish aseels

Songster
Nov 27, 2019
Pakistan
The first thing to understand about white pigeons is that white is NOT A COLOR. Sounds crazy, huh? But it's true.
Only three base colors are found in pigeons - Ash-red, Blue/black and brown, in order of dominance.
White feathers and pure white birds result from other genes that affect the expression of the color genes. So even a pure white bird carries the genes for one of the three base colors.
There are some good sources of further information online. I'll try to locate a link for you.
Thank you. I would greatly appreciate it if you could forward me any link which might help me

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
I have a question.

What genes could be at play if a Pigeon when young has white feathers with black spots but as it matures and moults it loses its black colour and becomes pure white

I have a question.

I'm no genetics expert but my WAG is a factor called mottle might be in play there. The second link above goes into detail on the different factors that produce white.

Top Bottom