Pigeon Talk

Interesting how the lacing on their wings echos the sparse snow on the ground. I think it was a good choice to move the young bird. Have you identified the cockbirds amongst your new ones?

I have identified 2 definite cockbirds. Still iffy on the others.

I have a wood floor with a gap in the middle to make cleaning a little easier. So, mainly wood.
With the gap in the middle and open style it will drain off the splashed water and hopefully your humidity is low enough for a quick dry out. Shouldn't be a problem. Something the size of a cat litter pan would work. Some of us add a few tablespoons of borax to the water to prevent mites and lice. Are you planning to attach an aviary for them

With the gap in the middle and open style it will drain off the splashed water and hopefully your humidity is low enough for a quick dry out. Shouldn't be a problem. Something the size of a cat litter pan would work. Some of us add a few tablespoons of borax to the water to prevent mites and lice. Are you planning to attach an aviary for them

The long term plan is to have an aviary. I just got 5 sheets of plywood from a friend which gets me up to 7 total. Going to be able to start construction on a more permanent solution in the upcoming weeks. I put a big container out there today (tray from my ice chest) but no one seemed too interested. Left it and came back but not much water so I don't know if they jumped in. Might try again next weekend. We're going to have rain all week.

Do you have any "treats" for your birds. They really love the corn and peas in their feed. Just looking for ways to really make them feel special. I have one in particular that seems to be the most tame. They were all feeding from my hand today but this one jumped up on my arm and helped themselves. I was stoked to sort of have a new break through. This along with the other bird returning on Sat I'm super excited about our progress.

Do you have any "treats" for your birds. They really love the corn and peas in their feed. Just looking for ways to really make them feel special. I have one in particular that seems to be the most tame. They were all feeding from my hand today but this one jumped up on my arm and helped themselves. I was stoked to sort of have a new break through. This along with the other bird returning on Sat I'm super excited about our progress.
Raw unsalted peanuts or shelled sunflower seeds are favorites. They are high fat so limited amounts are best.

Raw unsalted peanuts or shelled sunflower seeds are favorites. They are high fat so limited amounts are best.

The guy I got these last birds from said their favorite treat is a head of lettuce. He said they go nuts for it. I keep forgetting to stop and get some, so I haven’t tried it yet. :idunno

The guy I got these last birds from said their favorite treat is a head of lettuce. He said they go nuts for it. I keep forgetting to stop and get some, so I haven’t tried it yet. :idunno
Yes, they love romaine lettuce leaves that I give them. During summer they foraged a variety of greens on their own.

Back
Top Bottom