Pigeon Talk

I cant get anything here till friday so i am considering finding a vet and trying that because i doubt he will make it to friday.
You can try green tea and oregano. Both are supposed to alleviate the symptoms of cocci. I don't know if it will work but for want of something else? Have you got a farm store or a pets at home nearby? You may be able to get some coxoid from one or the other. My feed store keeps a limited supply.

I have a pets at home but it doesnt sell coxoid :hmm but i feel more hopeful now, we just fed him more formula and he really perked up! He ate a good amount and was letting us know he wanted more lol! He also started making wee squeaky noises. So hopefully he will keep eating and regain some strength.

4 and 1 may be a good idea - won't hurt, but it is possible that the bird was just starving. If that is the case such birds really perk up within 24 hours of being fed. I have rescued many a lost homer that looked to be on death's door.

I have a pets at home but it doesnt sell coxoid :hmm but i feel more hopeful now, we just fed him more formula and he really perked up! He ate a good amount and was letting us know he wanted more lol! He also started making wee squeaky noises. So hopefully he will keep eating and regain some strength.
Surely that's a good sign.. :fl

:yesss:As long as he is eager to take nourishment that's a good sign for survival. I couldn't really tell his age from the photo but perhaps he was having trouble feeding himself, winter has to be a hard time to fledge.

4 and 1 may be a good idea - won't hurt, but it is possible that the bird was just starving. If that is the case such birds really perk up within 24 hours of being fed. I have rescued many a lost homer that looked to be on death's door.
I was just going to suggest that and Sourland said it for me.:thumbsup
Your birdie looks like a very young by the beak that I see in pix. May not be sick at all. The external parasites,well, they attach themselves to anything available. Mites, or whatever, try to remove best you can at the moment. There are bath solutions for that. Bio or CCUK probably can suggest what to use.

Last edited:
@casportpony - is it safe to use a permethryn spray on fledglings, for mite/lice?

edit to add - I don't think I want to bathe him until he's feeling better.
I've used it on young chicks, so I would say it's safe for a fledgling. If sick, just be careful not to get him too wet, or maybe use a permethrin powder instead.

I've used it on young chicks, so I would say it's safe for a fledgling. If sick, just be careful not to get him too wet, or maybe use a permethrin powder instead.
Thanks, I think that would be easiest and quickest. It just needs a couple of spritzes under the wings and vent, not in the face.
@LauraMunro - having a squeaker in the house again - you are becoming a pigeon magnet like @CCUK .:lol: Some peeps are just destined to have pigeons!

Back
Top Bottom