Pigeon Talk

I clip Olive's nails every couple weeks, because the tops of doors and couches don't wear them down as much as cliffs or concrete ledges. She just lets me hold her and give her a lil pedicure.
~~~

Today it rained, and Olive spent a while looking outside the open kitchen window, and then started making bathing movements. I realized she is missing out on something pigeons like to do, cleaning themselves in the rain, so I improvised and put a dishpan in the kitchen sink with the tap running. She really enjoyed that, and took a shower. I think we'll do that for her baths from now on!

View attachment 1821876 View attachment 1821877 View attachment 1821878
:love Make a shower with the spray attachment?

Good Idea!

Some more photos taken just now.... Olive has a big fan in little Echo, a baby budgie who I was given about a week ago. She mostly ignores the little one but Echo does everything Olive does.
0622191621b.jpg
0622191621d.jpg
0622191627a.jpg
0622191627c.jpg
0622191615b.jpg

I agree with the eyes. The darker they are, the younger the birds are typically.

The living situation sounds ideal! I would also add some perches. and if you on one side added a couple of wooden boxes they could get into, that's where they would lay their eggs next time, and also go into when it's rainy by or cold. Don't fly them yet if you want to move them to a new coop, or they will be homeset there permanently. Because if you plan on making a coop later, they won't settle well if you have flown them. I also don't think I would fly the one with the eggs, though I tend to error on the side of cation... :)

How old where they when you bought them? We're they sqeaking? If not, and the previous owner had flown them, they aren't honest to you quite yet. Let each pair raise a few rounds of babies if you don't think they are home set before flying.

I don't remember exactly how old they were when I got them. Both pairs were supposed to be young enough that they would stay with me. I think the guys I got them from were honest. The dog training guy gave them to me for free, so he didn't really have a reason to lie and the other guy seemed really nice and offered a lot of helpful advice and I didn't get the feeling he was dishonest either. Their eyes haven't changed since I got them. One pair still has dark eyes and the other are bright orangish.

So are pigeons that picky that they wouldn't go to a new coop even on the same property??? Even if the other pen was gone?

I don't remember exactly how old they were when I got them. Both pairs were supposed to be young enough that they would stay with me. I think the guys I got them from were honest. The dog training guy gave them to me for free, so he didn't really have a reason to lie and the other guy seemed really nice and offered a lot of helpful advice and I didn't get the feeling he was dishonest either. Their eyes haven't changed since I got them. One pair still has dark eyes and the other are bright orangish.

So are pigeons that picky that they wouldn't go to a new coop even on the same property??? Even if the other pen was gone?

You can easily move the birds to a new loft on your property if it's not too far. I would say if the new loft is visible from the old loft or if you move from one side of your house to the other then that's close enough.:)

Back
Top Bottom