Pigeon Talk

Egg update! It’s zipping! I got those pictures you guys begged for lol.View attachment 2157234
I was holding the egg to take the picture and I heard a crack. I thought I had somehow cracked it but no, a little beak dent was there!

:loveOK now be careful and put it back. They are fragile when new hatched and you don't want to accidentally startle the parents into stepping on it or hitting it with a wing slap aimed at you!:D

I'm glad things are going well! Keep us posted @KiwiandPeachthePigeons

The catbirds are getting very comfortable near the aviary and that light colored nest box in the back is currently occupied by some chickadees :) and my eggs should hatch very soon!
Screenshot_20200524-113604_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the mirror tip! I have read somewhere that pigeons are among the few species that are able to recognize themselves in a mirror, along with chimps, dolphins, and several others. I think I'll try to install a mirror somewhere in my avairy. I love tree stumps as decor items!:lol:
Below a pic of my waterer. Can be used for grit also.
I'm having trouble uploading pics or I'd show you my 24" wooden feeder from foys. I just ordered a second one,they're 12 bucks + ship from foys but easy to make since you have skills and time! Lots of designs shown on YT.

View attachment 2157189
definitely recommend the mirror, it is a lot of fun to watch all of them coo and dance at themselves. I was worried about it at first because mirrors can cause some unhealthy behaviors in other birds (thinking their reflection is a potential mate haha), but it truly does seem like they recognize themselves in it, and even if they didnt, they still have their own, real mate to take their "urges" out on lol.

I love that feeder! That would be great to use for a while before I can build myself a proper one. Also helps keep rainwater out too! I'll have to check out the one from foy's. It sounds like a great price, but I can always build myself one real quick if it comes to it.

Here is a quick pic of my squab. He did jump down from the nesting box this morning, which isn't very high up. He's successfully jump/flown maybe 2 feet, and he was able to fly up onto a step about a foot up. Hes learning! Really surprised about the amount of red on his wings, must be a hidden gene from dad, who is all white. My mom says that he looks like a conch shell. His feet crack me up. They are the same size as dad's (very big) but he's still very small. Looks like he has clown shoes on or something.

Also, name suggestions are welcome! I honestly have no idea what to name him. I've just been calling him baby pigeon for about 3 weeks now lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_112544.jpg
    IMG_20200524_112544.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
definitely recommend the mirror, it is a lot of fun to watch all of them coo and dance at themselves. I was worried about it at first because mirrors can cause some unhealthy behaviors in other birds (thinking their reflection is a potential mate haha), but it truly does seem like they recognize themselves in it, and even if they didnt, they still have their own, real mate to take their "urges" out on lol.

I love that feeder! That would be great to use for a while before I can build myself a proper one. Also helps keep rainwater out too! I'll have to check out the one from foy's. It sounds like a great price, but I can always build myself one real quick if it comes to it.

Here is a quick pic of my squab. He did jump down from the nesting box this morning, which isn't very high up. He's successfully jump/flown maybe 2 feet, and he was able to fly up onto a step about a foot up. Hes learning! Really surprised about the amount of red on his wings, must be a hidden gene from dad, who is all white. My mom says that he looks like a conch shell. His feet crack me up. They are the same size as dad's (very big) but he's still very small. Looks like he has clown shoes on or something.

Also, name suggestions are welcome! I honestly have no idea what to name him. I've just been calling him baby pigeon for about 3 weeks now lol.
Adorable little guy! And he is proof that the base color of your white bird is ash red. White is not a color. Only three colors: Ash red(most dominent) blue/black(second in dominance) and brown(least dominent). Look for small spots of blue in his tail feathers. If you find some you can be certain the gender is male.

Adorable little guy! And he is proof that the base color of your white bird is ash red. White is not a color. Only three colors: Ash red(most dominent) blue/black(second in dominance) and brown(least dominent). Look for small spots of blue in his tail feathers. If you find some you can be certain the gender is male.

Ooh, good to know. If I recall correctly, he does have some light blue-ish tones in his tail feathers. I did order a couple books on pigeons and genetics. Unfortunately, this guy and maybe a couple more will be the extent of my breeding for now. I'm a college student, still living with my parents and we built the aviary on their property. Hopefully in a few years from now I'll have my own property and can build a nice big aviary. We will see!! If it happens, I'll probably take the pigeons I have now and start breeding them again. They're approximately only a year old now so they should still be in good condition by then. Will probably of course get some nice show breeds as well :). My parents weren't initially too happy with getting pigeons but now it sounds like they're going to keep the aviary and get some more pigeons after I take mine haha.

Cute baby Bio! How old now? Looks like mom & dad are doing a good job!!
There are two sibs, 9 and 10 days old. I gave one of the eggs to foster parents the day before hatch. The top 3 pics are foster mom, my feral Loper, defending the 9day old. My racing homer pair, the natural parents, were happy to sit for a family portrait. :lol: Both babies are extra big!

Back
Top Bottom