Pigeon Talk

Well got my first egg today! Except I wasn’t planning on any for another month which makes it especially hard with the moving. And on top of it I haven’t been able to spend much time in the loft due to kids and moving but I think the new egg is from a brother and sister pair that I didn’t realize paired 🙄
Since you’re moving anyway maybe replace it with a fake?
@backyard pigeons those new boxes look nice, good job. How are your starlings doing?

What do you guys think of something like this up on a set of legs as a small loft? The front panel would probably have to be redone with smaller doors so they couldn’t all just fly out but I’m sure the ones that come with it would still be useful.
I’m not loving the lumber prices right now.

Attachments

• D5B1EC45-294F-46C3-8341-376789D450B2.png
    D5B1EC45-294F-46C3-8341-376789D450B2.png
    3 MB · Views: 4
$190 will buy plenty of lumber. This unit needs converting. Needs floor support, as well as your proposed legs. Then a front door makeover. I did not even consider ventilation $$.
With this setup, you are getting 4 plastic panels, (top, back, and 2 sides) and 2 doors. Not sure if floor is one piece, or 2.
If I found this used on Craig's for $50, then I would seriously think about it.
I am big on re-purposing, but has to be an economical alternative.

What is everyone using for individual feed/water dishes in their breeding cages? Trying to be resourceful and reuse rather than buy. Was thinking maybe a tin can cut in half for the feeder with the top edge rolled so nothing sharp. Any other ideas?

What is everyone using for individual feed/water dishes in their breeding cages? Trying to be resourceful and reuse rather than buy. Was thinking maybe a tin can cut in half for the feeder with the top edge rolled so nothing sharp. Any other ideas?
I like to re-use a plastic bottle with a hole cut in the side for the bird to put their head in to get to the seeds. This prevents most of the seed flinging waste. I do the same for water. When they get dirty I just toss and make another one. My boxes are big enough to use the 2ltr size juice bottles but you could use slightly smaller ones.

So there's been a change in plans again... It's good this time though! Since I decided not to keep hatching more chickens and just keep the ones I already have for eggs and meat, I now have an empty chick pen that's inside a nice little barn! All I'll need to do is add some perches, add some nesting boxes, and cut a hole in the wire to attach a makeshift pop door in order to make it ready for pigeons!

So there's been a change in plans again... It's good this time though! Since I decided not to keep hatching more chickens and just keep the ones I already have for eggs and meat, I now have an empty chick pen that's inside a nice little barn! All I'll need to do is add some perches, add some nesting boxes, and cut a hole in the wire to attach a makeshift pop door in order to make it ready for pigeons!
Will there be daylight available to your pigeon loft occupants??

Instead of just a pop door, can I suggest you make a Landing base with bob wires. This way pigeons can associate it much better as their entrance point. Ask questions if what I wrote is not understanding. I can post pix of what I'm trying to convey. :):frow

What is everyone using for individual feed/water dishes in their breeding cages?
This may not apply to inside of breeding cages, but does apply to feeding, and watering pigeons, and chickens, as well as other flock. (inside coop/loft, and aviary/run)
I use retired kitchen bowls. They are made of Pyrex glass, and some Corning Ware bowls/dishes. What I like about reusing these,,,,, they clean up really easily, and are heavy enough to not be easily tipped over.

Back
Top Bottom