Pigeon Talk

By the looks of it, it seems that door is like the back wall so to speak, so when it's closed I really don't see where or how they could fall. Are you going to be using bowls for nests? if not you could always place 2 bricks in a corner and block off a square section for them to build a nest in. I don't think falling out is going to be a problem unless I'm seeing it wrong in the pictures.
I think you could do the landing board/trap as you suggested. I'm not sure what breed you are intending on getting. My main concern would be having a door that's located outside of the aviary and having no screen door behind it. Without it, it would be easy for the birds to pop out past you if you open it... then you could have problems getting them back (especially if they are not trained). I'll try to get a picture of how I have mine set up. Even though I have my door inside of the aviary I still have a screen behind the solid door, and also built a trap right into the screen door. Nowadays I just leave the aviary door open when I'm flying them and let them trap into the loft that way also. It's just a suggestion of mine because I often see people saying my bird got out, how do I get it back??? This would just be a way to prevent accidents like that as you can see where they are at all times. Heck, you could even make small individual frames with some screen stapled to it for each nest box slot that fits inside the opening, hinge it on one side and use a hook and eye or barrel bolt on the other side to hold it in place. Lots of ways to make it work.

yeah you’re seeing it right, here are some more pics in case it helps clarify

the door is the back of the nest shelf... here’s a better picture after I moved the wood strips to the bottom of the shelves.

so my concern was them building a nest in the corner right against the door, so that when I opened it part of nest or the squabs would fall out... maybe it’s not really a concern, blocks or bricks or something sounds like a good solution that still allows easy cleaning

I’m not sure about bowls for nesting... this is all new to me, so I’m very much trying to figure it out as I go 🥴

I made the nest platforms a bit oversized at 18” x 32” with the idea of a pair alternating between the left and right... so I should have plenty of room to figure out what works best

I like the idea of some small doors on the front of each nest compartment... so maybe I’ll redo those perches to hinge up also
8A765F5B-DC46-465B-B493-154F81103B47.jpeg

I currently have a little door on the inside to close off the arched openings to the aviary, but I’ve already decided to redo it to make it hinge from the top and lower it with a string or something from the outside to close it off without having to open the big door

1B905232-237C-4607-999C-FBAB6674797C.jpeg

027A1997-200C-48FA-9420-021B3DC6B065.jpeg

My place is very prone to hawks, so I’m not sure about flying the birds... but I thought it might be best to have it setup for flying young birds, so I can at least try...

so that is why I was wondering if it’d be best to have a trap and landing platform built into the solid door (red) or the aviary door (blue) ?

BC593263-66D2-4A9A-A5CD-EB328B701A34.jpeg

something like this example
049CE234-F157-4047-8969-F47E9A71CDAA.jpeg

Last edited:
I love it! Great job @OhZark Biddies ! When will you get the pigeons? What breed\s?

Thanks! I don’t really know for sure... I’m not in a hurry, but have been watching my local Craigslist... if I see something interesting close by I might get some sooner than later... otherwise I will probably just try trapping some barn pigeons or swiping some squabs from barn nests or something ... I’m assuming mid April might be a good time to find barn squabs at the right age?

most of what I’ve seen advertised locally has been rollers or homers, or mixes of those two... but nothing recent real close to me.

I haven’t seen any Portuguese rollers advertised yet 😉

Last edited:
Thanks! I don’t really know for sure... I’m not in a hurry, but have been watching my local Craigslist... if I see something interesting close by I might get some sooner than later... otherwise I will probably just try trapping some barn pigeons or swiping some squabs from barn nests or something ... I’m assuming mid April might be a good time to find barn squabs at the right age?

most of what I’ve seen advertised locally has been rollers or homers, or mixes of those two... but nothing recent real close to me.

I know it's mid-pandemic but if you see one advertised, pigeon shows are the BEST!! For buying pigeons of different kinds (thats actually where I found my Portuguese haha!) and just SEEING all of the crazy types and colours, It's super fun :D

I know it's mid-pandemic but if you see one advertised, pigeon shows are the BEST!! For buying pigeons of different kinds (thats actually where I found my Portuguese haha!) and just SEEING all of the crazy types and colours, It's super fun :D
Thanks... I’ve only been looking for a few weeks...

but so far I’ve only seen a couple of ‘swap meets’ advertised that might have a few pigeons available ... and they’re not real close

how does a person find pigeon shows? I’m a couple hours from St. Louis and a few hours from Kansas City... but I haven’t really found any shows, etc.

It’s very possible I just don’t know where to look, lol

Thanks... I’ve only been looking for a few weeks...

but so far I’ve only seen a couple of ‘swap meets’ advertised that might have a few pigeons available ... and they’re not real close

how does a person find pigeon shows? I’m a couple hours from St. Louis and a few hours from Kansas City... but I haven’t really found any shows, etc.

It’s very possible I just don’t know where to look, lol
Back pre-pandemic I was in a 4H pigeon group as a sort of helper and we'd meet people during fairs, the leader of the group also had a few contacts for shows and such a few hours away. The shows I've heard about and went to were always 2-4 hours away unfortunately. But met a lot of cool people and contacts : D I'm in Washington so I can't really help for stuff near you, hopefully someone else closer can!! I've seen some shows advertised online and on facebook, also check the NPA website, they may have stuff listed. But it's also mid-pandemic so there might not be any right now ^^"

I'm at a loss :') Slowly this year I've been figuring out what birds to downsize in my flock, I've decided to get rid of my homers, and two of my rollers for a start and see if that impacts my feed bill, and might rehome my muffed chinese owl if I can find a nice pet home for her. I was going to include my blue bar girl Pirate in the 'sell' group... but she's SO close to perfect for her mate!!

View attachment 2564775

Ever since Peany (the cockbird on the right) hatched it was my goal to get an almond, he's a spread almond but almost every hen I've had has been ALSO spread so I bought Pirate, in hopes of eliminating the spread and getting just almond. She's a lovely little petite blue bar with a super amazing little white face on her, I know she's nothing too crazy or special but I kinda like her, and she instantly paired with Peany. (my other blue bar opal girl I tried to pair with him was NOT fond of him, which I understand cause he's a jerk but that was disheartening)

The only problem is Pirate keeps laying soft shelled eggs... They generally have access to grit (ran out this last week, getting more tomorrow) and when I bought her she came with the issue, I'm sure I could find a new bird to replace her... but she's already paired up and Peany can be a hard guy to love I guess. He's not really a Casanova. I've never had another bird lay a soft shelled egg, nor has anyone I know had soft shelled eggs. I always assumed the grit was fine, does she need something extra? Is it genetic...? I have access to oyster shells for the chickens, could that help? I've always thought it was a bit big for them though ^^" Thank you
Pretty birds!

I am sorry you have to downsize due to the unfortunate circumstances. How is downsizing going?

I'm so sorry! I totally forgot that we had already talked! There has been quite a few new fanciers asking questions recently, which is awesome! I just forgot you were one.

yes, April will be good to snag some barn pigeons!

Haha, you can't go wrong with ports!
do you have pictures of your ports? Its been awhile, I want to see what you have got. You may have a future customer here. ;)
look on the National Pigeon Association website. http://www.npausa.com/

They have a show calender, which are all the shows sponsored by them. sadly, there weren't many this year. You can not go wrong with a NPA show, as they are well organized and well attended.

I am a member of the NPA, so have access to everyone else in the club and there locations\contacts. PM if you want and I can share some contacts in your area, so you can get some pigeons connections and begin your pigeon hunt if wanted. :)

Pretty birds!

I am sorry you have to downsize due to the unfortunate circumstances. How is downsizing going?

I'm so sorry! I totally forgot that we had already talked! There has been quite a few new fanciers asking questions recently, which is awesome! I just forgot you were one.

yes, April will be good to snag some barn pigeons!

Haha, you can't go wrong with ports!

do you have pictures of your ports? Its been awhile, I want to see what you have got. You may have a future customer here. ;)

look on the National Pigeon Association website. http://www.npausa.com/

They have a show calender, which are all the shows sponsored by them. sadly, there weren't many this year. You can not go wrong with a NPA show, as they are well organized and well attended.

I am a member of the NPA, so have access to everyone else in the club and there locations\contacts. PM if you want and I can share some contacts in your area, so you can get some pigeons connections and begin your pigeon hunt if wanted. :)
Downsizing hasn't started yet :') It's hard for me to pull the trigger on a decision, but I am for sure going to get rid of the trio of homers, I don't need them for show or brooding so they'd be better off in someone else's loft, I'll miss them but it'll be less feed on my plate!

The Ports haven't been the main focus of what I'm breeding so I'll be honest... I'm not certain of their sexes >.> I've got 5 and I love them but they are a little wild so it can make it a little hard to get a hold of or photos of them >.> But I did manage to! I'm not sure how standard they are, parents are from a nice breeder a few hours north of me but I mostly got them cause god so cute! But I hope to show them once Covid gets its stupid germy hands off of my plans!

1. Tortoiseshell Cockbird (100% sure) He's oldest
Ports1.jpg
2. Blue T-Check with faint bronzing (75% hen)
Ports2.jpg
3. Blue T-Check Cock (this guy is HUGE if he's not a dude I'll eat my foot)
Ports3.jpg
4. Blue T-Check with more bronzing + pied (75% sure it's a hen)
Ports 4.jpg
Ports5.jpg
5. Homo Grizzle Tort or Heavy Pied Tort. This guy was hatched in October 2020 and I haven't seen any signs of sex yet, they're gonna be a late bloomer :') I can't remember their mom but I know for sure the dad to this guy is #1 (the tort)
Ports6.jpg Ports7.jpg

Sorry for the loose feathers in the carrier, it looks kinda messy cause it kinda is ^^" I've been using it when sorting and moving birds around

Downsizing hasn't started yet :') It's hard for me to pull the trigger on a decision, but I am for sure going to get rid of the trio of homers, I don't need them for show or brooding so they'd be better off in someone else's loft, I'll miss them but it'll be less feed on my plate!

The Ports haven't been the main focus of what I'm breeding so I'll be honest... I'm not certain of their sexes >.> I've got 5 and I love them but they are a little wild so it can make it a little hard to get a hold of or photos of them >.> But I did manage to! I'm not sure how standard they are, parents are from a nice breeder a few hours north of me but I mostly got them cause god so cute! But I hope to show them once Covid gets its stupid germy hands off of my plans!

1. Tortoiseshell Cockbird (100% sure) He's oldest
View attachment 2565511
2. Blue T-Check with faint bronzing (75% hen)
View attachment 2565510
3. Blue T-Check Cock (this guy is HUGE if he's not a dude I'll eat my foot)
View attachment 2565509
4. Blue T-Check with more bronzing + pied (75% sure it's a hen)
View attachment 2565508
View attachment 2565507
5. Homo Grizzle Tort or Heavy Pied Tort. This guy was hatched in October 2020 and I haven't seen any signs of sex yet, they're gonna be a late bloomer :') I can't remember their mom but I know for sure the dad to this guy is #1 (the tort)
View attachment 2565506View attachment 2565505

Sorry for the loose feathers in the carrier, it looks kinda messy cause it kinda is ^^" I've been using it when sorting and moving birds around
Woah dude. You got some show birds there. You selling #1 and #4? Pair those guys together, and you'll get some show birds.

But for real, I will never be able to get to the top if I'm not adding new blood. If you ever get some young with the flat top of the head, horizontal beak, and a shorter body and you are selling, let me know. Banded or not, I would be interested.

This is what you should be aiming for:
1615515653066.png

And I'm sure you know of this site, but just in case.

http://portuguesetumbler.com/id33.htm

Are you a member of the PTCA? You should consider it. Its benefits are access to all club members location and contact info, three newsletters a year, and club bands. Plus, you get to be REALLY cool. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom